Dendroboard banner
261 - 280 of 370 Posts
Unfortunately i dont i have that, im not good on taking pictures on my building process, but im on my way to build a new cage any day now, for my newts. And i can post a thread here that shows how i create my faux rocks and the hole paludarium construction, if thats okey in this forum will say?

By the way, nice faux backgrounds HX!

It will take me a while to describe, but offcurse i can.

I take it in stepps.

1: I use styrofoam board that i carve and sculpture to get the structure i want.

2: I mix mortar and perhaps some pigment powder in the mix.

3: I put a thick layer with mortar on the styrofoam and even it out but still thick (1-2cm)

4: I whait untill the mortar begins to harden a bit, then i work it with a knife and some other sharp tools, so the kracks you se is carved in the mortar.

5: Painting with acrylic paint, but i have a new material i shall use now that i blend with paint powder and put in the mortar mix.

I shall explain better in the thread, my english is not that good hehe.

Thanks, guys. Happy to hear that at least five of the 1K viewers after the last pics approve them. Smiley.

After I get this paludarium planted, up and running, I'll redo my old faithful 6 1/2 feet tall paludarium alltogether. The scape, lighting, filtering system, watering, everything. I'm propably also going to get rid of the glass doors. Well, at least the curved shelve in between the aqua-part and the doors has got to go. It blocks the view to the waterline.
There's a pic of it somewhere in the thread, but to remind you, it's this one I'm talking about:

Lighting will be tricky to accomplish.

There's going to be a a nice fake stoning and a lot of fake rooting.
If and when I get around to it, so don't hold your breaths.
Thanks again for the feedback.

HX - I just want to say again that i absolutley love your work.
I actually started to make my own backgrounds for my vivs and terrariums 2 years ago.
and i can say that im still learning and improving by reading other ppl's posts ( like yourself ).
so keep posting pics of your projects, and the least i can do is admire and thank you for the time invested to post pics and "How To" directions over these forum pages.
so keep the pics coming :)

P.S- sorry for any grammer or spelling mistakes, english is not my first lang.:eek:
here are some of my projects :

pics 1-3 are of my bearded dragon's terrarium.

pics 4-6 are of my leopard gecko's terrarium.

pics 7-9 are of my red eyed tree frogs viv.

hope you like it .

Attachments

Hey, thanks again, OH23 and thanks for showing us your work. Very nice texture and color on the desert-terrariums.

Is that a self-made tile on the bottom of your leo terra?

Good going, keep it up! And you too, keep showing 'em! Very inspiring.

HX - thank you for your nice reply :D
Yes, it is a DIY tile on the bottom of my leo setup. if you want any more details about the process i'd be more than happy to provide ;).

rpmurphey - Thanks for the link, these guys do have some nice things.

hello to all,
Last week i started to build a 3D fake rock background with that kind of blue epoxi panel. I get great results doing the rocks (tomorrow i'm gonna put some pics) however I'm heaving trouble to dispose them all in the back panel. I know that is suppose to imitate the nature (right?) but it's hard cause I have all the rock with the same width. When i look to other's backgrounds i see rocks with different width: some larger and some thinner and I question myself If they glue two of them to make a bigger one.
Another question is if there is a gold rule to make that.
Thank you for your attention

hello, like I promise you here are the pics of the fake rocks.

In the background I just can sobreposse rocks like pic1 because it looks like very uniforme. (not like nature). So my question is how do i do it?
Thanks
Ps: sorry about my English i'm portuguese ;D

261 - 280 of 370 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.