Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to make fake rock for backgrounds? It's not for darts, but it does need to be able to be submerged long-term. Would great stuff work?

·
Registered
180 Posts
are you asking what would you use to make a false backround? If so, yes great stuff would work

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone! The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to make fake limestone backgrounds for a group of blind cave tetras. Is there any type of waterproof, non-toxic paint that could be used?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
onagro, I made a fake rock background with epoxy and the results are nearly fool proof. If you throw a lot of sand and clay on it and then sand it afterwards...it looks real.

Please search here for the article "mixing epoxy for water tanks" by me. I got it from West System when I made my own background.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rain Frog, I read that post on the epoxy background and really appreciate your help! That sounds like a great idea. I will let you know how it turns out (it will probably be after Christmas because that's when I'm getting the biocube)

I've had these fish since I was 11 years old and just think they deserve better than a 10 gallon with blue gravel and a castle.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Rain Frog, I read that post on the epoxy background and really appreciate your help! That sounds like a great idea. I will let you know how it turns out (it will probably be after Christmas because that's when I'm getting the biocube

that's ok, because epoxy is best cured in warm temperatures...this is really not the best time of the year to try it. I advise you to mount some heat lamps over the curing epoxy in a shed to raise the temp at least to 120 degrees for four hours (or whatever the article says).

The vivarium mortar I've been told by Cindy herself is designed for small applications. You have to be careful not to make layers or anything too thin or it'll crack. So, not a good idea if you want to make a background.

However, for small rocks or something it'll probably work well. Just be careful with pH if this is for a fish tank.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Holy sh!t :shock:
Those look ace!

Would you care to elaborate on the process you used to make them? I'm especially interested in how you got the shapes and cleaved surfaces so real. Pretty please :D

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
you should have been around to see my background. Looked like real cement.

Mike, go outside and dig up some very thick clay soil. Let it dry until its powdery.

Get some play sand as well.

On the last two coats of epoxy, throw sand and powdery clay soil ontop of it and let it dry for the required length of time. Then, sand it well and it looks almost fool proof.

DO NOT use coco peat instead because it will catch on fire.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zBrinks said:
Steven, post the process on how you made those rocks! Pretty, pretty please!
I agree! Are they made the same way as a background?

G

·
I checked out some of those links and it said to buy expanding foam. So I bought some today and it says it causes sensitization by skin contact or inhalation. Would that be ok to put in a vivarium, or is there anyway to make it non-toxic?

G

·
I checked out some of those links and it said to buy expanding foam. So I bought some today and it says it causes sensitization by skin contact or inhalation. Would that be ok to put in a vivarium, or is there anyway to make it non-toxic?

1 - 20 of 370 Posts