Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my test viv (10 gallon) and trying to get some input on something.

I'm going to use an eggcrate false bottom for this build. What I want to do is drill a hole in the back glass below the false bottom to put a drain in so i can remove excess water and also use it so that if i go out of town for a few days i can open the drain valve and have some tubing attached to it running to something like a 5 gallon bucket so that say if my mister fails and continues to run my tank wont flood (all the water that goes to the false bottom would just drain out into the 5 gallon bucket). Not what I need help with is exactly what kind of plumbing pieces i need to make this drain setup.

Here's a quick picture I drew up in paint

Now I would like to keep the water level as low as possible so i'd drill the drain hole as close to the bottom as possible.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of parts I should get to plumb this? and where to get them. Glanced around at Home Depot and seems the smallest kind of pvc plumbing parts they carry are 1/2" which seem kind of big for something this small

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you decide to go with the MistKing bulkhead, make sure you use the O-rings. That bulkhead probably wasn't designed to be partly submerged, so I don't know if it will leak or not. If it doesn't leak it's definitely the cheapest option, as long as you don't mind being stuck with hard tubing at that size.

Otherwise you'll need what's usually called a "double-threaded" bulkhead. It looks like this: Standard Threaded Bulkhead Fitting - 1/2 inch

It's easiest if you go with a 1/2" bulkhead. If you do, the rest of what you need you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. They have a section of small plastic fittings (in the plumbing section, but not where all the PVC fittings are). What you want looks like this: 1/2" x 1/2" Plastic Barb x MIP Elbow

You'll find similar parts with different size barbs. As long as the threaded part is the right size, the size of the barbed end is up to you. The tubing you'll attach to the barb is available in the same section in whichever size you like. Pick some of this up as well so your threaded joints don't leak: 1/2" Plumber's Tape

There are all sorts of valves you could install here. Another advantage to the MistKing approach is that with hard tubing it's very easy to find a quick-connect cap (Lowes/HD will probably have it) that you remove whenever you want to drain. Or you can use the push-in plug MistKing supplies (more annoying to remove frequently, I imagine).

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If you decide to go with the MistKing bulkhead, make sure you use the O-rings. That bulkhead probably wasn't designed to be partly submerged, so I don't know if it will leak or not. If it doesn't leak it's definitely the cheapest option, as long as you don't mind being stuck with hard tubing at that size.
Most definitely it was designed to be submerged. It is to install on a 5 gallon bucket to hold the water for the system. There is an O-ring quite clearly shown in the picture. Here it is again. MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd
This is the hose you would use for the system. MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd
You mentioned wanting a valve. I prefer to keep mine wide open, draining into a bucket but here is the valve you would use. MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd

Reactions: Azriel

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I didn't know people did that; I thought they just dropped the hose into the bucket from the top. Good to know, thank you.
No, I mean it is for the reservoir. The bucket that will feed, or supply the system with fresh water for the misting system. For the waste water I think most of us do just drop in through the top of a second, waste bucket.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Otherwise you'll need what's usually called a "double-threaded" bulkhead. It looks like this: Standard Threaded Bulkhead Fitting - 1/2 inch

It's easiest if you go with a 1/2" bulkhead. If you do, the rest of what you need you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. They have a section of small plastic fittings (in the plumbing section, but not where all the PVC fittings are). What you want looks like this: 1/2" x 1/2" Plastic Barb x MIP Elbow

You'll find similar parts with different size barbs. As long as the threaded part is the right size, the size of the barbed end is up to you. The tubing you'll attach to the barb is available in the same section in whichever size you like. Pick some of this up as well so your threaded joints don't leak: 1/2" Plumber's Tape

There are all sorts of valves you could install here. Another advantage to the MistKing approach is that with hard tubing it's very easy to find a quick-connect cap (Lowes/HD will probably have it) that you remove whenever you want to drain. Or you can use the push-in plug MistKing supplies (more annoying to remove frequently, I imagine).
That was my original plan was to do something like that but with 1/2" fittings i think the hole i would have to drill would make me have to raise my false bottom up higher than I want. I originally thought of using this

MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd

but it requires a 1.5" hole which like I said would make me have to raise the FB up higher than i wanted.

This may be a stupid question but with the 1/4" bulkhead from mistking is the opening that would be inside the tank 1/4" diameter or is the 1/4" just referring to size of tubing that attaches to the outside of tank part.

Pumilo do you have a picture of your drain setup that you could post. Visuals help me out =)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
1/4" is the tubing size that is used with the Mistking reservoir bulkhead. The hole size that you would drill into your viv to accommodate the bulkhead is 5/8". I'm sorry I don't have a picture as it is not the system I use. I use a homemade system that relies primarily on a homemade compression fitting backed up with silicone. My system is really not for everyone. If my system is not done just right, it will leak.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted on vivariumforum as well and a person over there is saying the 1/4" bulkhead wouldn't work well as a drain because of the inner diameter of the bulkhead and 1/4" tubing. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure out a way to work in a bigger bulkhead.

Secondly the new issue on my hands is the tank I bought to try this out on. Yesterday i bought a 10 gallon Top Fin tank from petsmart. From reading around on the net some people are saying the bottom of the tank (which would be the back when I convert it to a vertical setup) is tempered glass and some are saying its not. Now I'm trying to figure out who exactly manufactures this tank for petsmart before a I proceed with any drilling. I called petsmarts CS line and of course they couldn't tell me what I wanted to know and I had to submit and inquiry for a "manager" to look over and I won't hear back from them for 3-7 days. Funny how a simple question of "is the bottom of the tank tempered glass or not" is going to take so long to get an answer back on. I'm most likely going to just tank the tank back tomorrow. Which leads me to the next question, where can I get a 10 gallon tank where the bottom of the tank is 100 % glass that can be drilled.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I posted on vivariumforum as well and a person over there is saying the 1/4" bulkhead wouldn't work well as a drain because of the inner diameter of the bulkhead and 1/4" tubing. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure out a way to work in a bigger bulkhead.

I use the 1/4" push connect bulkheads from Marty on all my tanks with no problems. Mine have never gotten clogged. Every so often you have to coax the siphoning process by wiggling the tube a little but not where its a issue.
Also if you haven't seen those 1 1/2 drains in person.. they are HUGE. Expecially for a 10g.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also if you haven't seen those 1 1/2 drains in person.. they are HUGE. Expecially for a 10g.
you are referring to the 3/4" bulkhead drain with strainer he has on his site?

Also I'm hoping to not have to coax the process, as what i'm trying to do is make this a system where i really dont have to do much more than just empty out the bucket when it gets enough water in it

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you read the thread that Randommind linked you to? http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/78356-bulkhead-question.html It addresses using thin line for a drain. It can be done but you need to use appropriate screening to keep the bottom free of particles.
This might come in handy for you. How to tell if glass is tempered..
Yes I read that thread and I figured that by having fiberglass screening over the eggcrate that there really shouldn't be any particles big enough to clog the bulkhead down in the water. I also saw that posting on how to tell if the glass is tempered but i don't have any polarized sunglasses. I may just take it to a glass shop and have them check it out

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I may just take it to a glass shop and have them check it out
I own a glass shop. They are going to tell you that they can hit it with a hammer and see if it cracks or shatters. Tempered tanks do not use a tempered stamp. Tempered windows DO use a tempered stamp that say that they are tempered. A glass shop will simply look for the stamp which is not there. (not really a stamp but rather etched into the glass in one corner)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Talk to Dizzle21, he uses 1/4" MistKing drains.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I've never heard of a tempered 10 gallon tank. I can't imagine someone going to the cost and trouble for a little $10 unit.
I would agree with this. It is very unlikely that a 10 gallon tank would have any tempered panes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts