Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 40 gallon vivarium horizontal with 2 frogs in it. I was looking to add a background with the kitty litter method. Would it be a waste to remove everything and put the back ground in? Leave a response thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ha I have a similar situation.

Simple answer-For me its really just up to time. If you have time to waste then go ahead and waste it on frogs. But if your like me than just wait till you have the time to waste.

There is a lot more to it than that though of course. will you need to rip everything out? If so will the plants you have in there grow back ok or are things going to be lost in the transplant/ripping things out.

Also what about the frogs? Will they be able to handle the stress of the whole thing? What kind are they? How old are they? Ya know stuff like that needs to be reckoned with.

There are also options that might be better than the "clay BG" method in your situation. What about those mass produced foam bark BG that you cut to size and slip in? or something like that. What about the really easy and stress free way of just attaching something to the outside of the back portion of the tank to eliminate that "see through" transparency thing. Like having some Flukers brown or green reptile carpet placed on the outside, this is very noninvasive.

Just my thoughts. Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I used the kitty litter method and will say that people have had great success with it. However in my experience it is fairly sensitive and will eventually soak up water and sag or even fall off. I have two tanks with it now and am planning on changing them over when i can to something more long lasting and stable. I have not tried any of the other clay methods other than kitty litter so the other methods may hold out.
Just my two cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts