Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of great photos out there...so my question is what macro lenses are people using?

I've got a Canon 20D and now I'm in the lens market.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
I really like my Canon 2.8 100mm Macro. All in all the Sigma 105, and Tamron 100mm are also good, but for an extra $50 or so you get a much better built lens from Canon. Both the other take great shots, but I have tried both and they both feel cheap to me compared to the Canon. Be ready to spend at least $400-500.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi Joe,

The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 (USM and non USM version) are both exceptional lenses. I have one of each (one at home one at work).

You can find both version used in very good condition, starting at $350 (from reputable dealers). I bought the one at home used from keh.com

I have used this in the field to photograph dart frogs as well as in the studio. With an extension tube and a EF 1.4X teleconverter, you can transform this into a 140mm f4 macro that will focus closer and give higher magnification and maintain high quality.

Yuri

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.