Dendroboard banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
In that case then yes, it may be best. They seem very unaggressive but as with any aquatic you have to be careful with ammonia buildup if the population density gets too high.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I think I will try to 2 29 gals for the time being and then work on getting them into one group and something bigger down the road.

Thank you :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 2 empty 29 gallons which is why I mentioned splitting them up into 2 groups.
I'd absolutely separate 5 and 5. They are remarkably friendly but the overcrowding will lead to stress which leads to these guys trying to escape. They are ESCAPE ARTISTS. Please newt-proof all openings. A post from Sludgemonkey (LOTS of experience with Kaiseri) on caudata stated they can squeeze through any opening the size of their head. They can walk right up the glass just as easy as a day gecko if they choose. Sadly I lost one during my first week, the only opening in the tank I had was the hole for the air hose, AND it was covered with plastic. Separating them will also make it easier to make sure everyones getting enough food!

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are actually quite a few up for sale up on Kingsnake now but the prices seem to have crept up the $100-$120 range.
Yeah, what's the deal with that? "Flipping" them to pocket a quick 500 bucks? It seems most up for sale are re-circulated de Vosjoli offerings from a few months ago.

Keeping these newts in the "standard CB newt" price range (around $35), is a pretty fervent topic on caudata.org. JVK

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Porkchop,

While I'm sure a larger tank would work well for them, I have had my six in a ten gallon set-up for 14 months and they are doing great. Most of them end-up hanging out together in one corner of the tank anyway, so I'm sure there isn't any stressing going on.

Good luck with them, Richard.

I have a group of these coming next week or so if all goes well.

What size tank would be needed for 10 of them?

or would I be better off seperating them into 2 groups?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to know about your setup Woodsman, I have 3 juvies currently and I have 3 more coming in next week. I'll try keeping them all together in the current setup.

JVK I've seen the ads up EVERYwhere for Kaiseri lately. I feel bad for anyone who pays upwards of $35 for these amazing animals. "Allegedly" the demand on the internet for this species is a leading factor in why there are so few left in the wild. If you guys successfully breed yours PLEASE drop the price to something reasonable. I took these guys on as a personal mission to get their prices down. When mine breed, I'll be selling them for $30 to combat the inflated prices. I saw an add once where a guy sold a breeding pair for over $1000.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Linus,

The six I purchased from Mike at Sandfire Dragon Ranch were $180, so I think you are right were these guys should be at "fair" market value.

Take care and good luck with them, Richard.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I am working on doing a larger order for these guys more than I had originally planned, if any one is interested please contact me via pm.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I can see them.

Richard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry guys, I can even view them from a mobile device, there must be an issue with the board maybe a mod can check into?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
If anyone knows a good source for Iranian Newts please let me know. I am trying to get a few of them with the eventual hope of breeding them. I tried emailing Philippe Vosjoli (as per an earlier post in this thread) but did not receive a response.
Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
If anyone knows a good source for Iranian Newts please let me know. I am trying to get a few of them with the eventual hope of breeding them. I tried emailing Philippe Vosjoli (as per an earlier post in this thread) but did not receive a response.
Thanks,
Zack
I just got 3 more from Philippe, there are ads all over kingsnake.com right now for like double to 4x the price.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
There are always going to be people who try to exploit a popular species for cash (that's the main reason N. kaiseri is almost extinct in the wild). Hopefully, most people will shop around and not be willing to pay those ridiculous amounts.

I think it would be great if we could figure out how proceeds from the sale of these newts could go to help conservation of the animals in the wild.

Richard.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Phillipe is only allowed to sell them for that price so that's why

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I do not know Phillipe, but three inch metamorphs are being sold for $120 on Kingsnake and I don't think anyone should pay that kind of money for them (as it only increases the incentive for poachers to continue taking animals from the wild). Perhaps this isn't a problem for you, but it is for me.

Richard.

Phillipe is only allowed to sell them for that price so that's why

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: jbherpin
61 - 80 of 110 Posts