Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a Christmas present to myself I ordered a half dozen Lustrian Newt metamorphs from Phillip Vosjolli. For those not familiar with the species not only is it one of the most colorful newts in the world it is also one of the more heat tolerant, spending half the year in conditions very similar to those experienced by many arid lizards. Unfortunately this is also a species that is virtually extinct in the wild due to over collection for the pet trade.

My question is on whether anyone else on the board is currently working with the species or looking to work with the species moving forward. Additional info can be seen in the attached link.

Wildlife Extra News - Rare Iranian salamander in danger of extinction due to internet pet trade

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
LUCKY!!!!

they are beautiful animals, i thought about getting some, but the temp issues, price, and ability to find mates, stopped me.

james

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm working with Neurergus kaiseri. I imported a bunch of c.b. a few years back. I bred them a couple times and wound up selling them. I picked up some more last year and hopefully will be breeding them this year. I'm also working with N. strauchii. I think if you keep them to warm it would be a big mistake.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm working with Neurergus kaiseri. I imported a bunch of c.b. a few years back. I bred them a couple times and wound up selling them. I picked up some more last year and hopefully will be breeding them this year. I'm also working with N. strauchii. I think if you keep them to warm it would be a big mistake.
I was actually thinking of keeping mine in a semiaquatic setup in my laundry room which has a temp range from the low 50's in the winter to the high eighties in the summer. My thoght process is that this would help to replicate the environment they would experience in their native Zargoz Mountains. I would certainly appreciate your input on any modifications you would recommend.

For anyone else that is considering working with these amazing animals I think Phillip may still have a few CB metamorphs left and at $35 each they are an absolute steal in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Those are beautiful creatures Roman......Congrats and good luck with them.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a quick side note, since a number of people on here seem to think that I have been nothing but an apologist for the Germans and the Dutch in the past, let me go on the record stating that the looming extinction of these animals in the wild can be directly attributed to local collectors decimating colonies in the wild at the bidding of certain individuals in Germany, frequently through middle men in the Ukraine:(

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
So are Lustrian the same as Kaiser (which I'm familiar with)? I had no luck with a google search for lustrian newt or finding a pic (if it is different).

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Roman,

I purchased a group of six N. kaiseri from Mike at Sandfire Dragon Ranch last January and they have grown fast and are taking on adult characteristics already. I'm not going to cycle them this year and hope they'll be ready to go next year. There's a pretty good thread on them on Caudata.org.

They have been very easy to keep fully aquatic at ambient temperature feeding on small pelletized food.

Hope you enjoy them! Richard.

As a Christmas present to myself I ordered a half dozen Lustrian Newt metamorphs from Phillip Vosjolli. For those not familiar with the species not only is it one of the most colorful newts in the world it is also one of the more heat tolerant, spending half the year in conditions very similar to those experienced by many arid lizards. Unfortunately this is also a species that is virtually extinct in the wild due to over collection for the pet trade.

My question is on whether anyone else on the board is currently working with the species or looking to work with the species moving forward. Additional info can be seen in the attached link.

Wildlife Extra News - Rare Iranian salamander in danger of extinction due to internet pet trade

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think the correct name is Luristan newt. They are one of the few salamanders listed as CITESI. Being CITESI listed should knock down the threat of more being collected in the wild. If the estimates are accurate their are more N. kaiseri in captivity than in the wild. They are attractive and not difficult to breed. Most salamanders do well in cool temps. Even in areas where temps reach the 80sF their are cool spots in crevices in the rocks. If kept in the 80s in your Laundry room their will be no cool spots for them to find. I've always had good luck keeping mine cool year round. Check around but I think 80 F is probably to warm for them.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the correct name is Luristan newt. They are one of the few salamanders listed as CITESI. Being CITESI listed should knock down the threat of more being collected in the wild. If the estimates are accurate their are more N. kaiseri in captivity than in the wild. They are attractive and not difficult to breed. Most salamanders do well in cool temps. Even in areas where temps reach the 80sF their are cool spots in crevices in the rocks. If kept in the 80s in your Laundry room their will be no cool spots for them to find. I've always had good luck keeping mine cool year round. Check around but I think 80 F is probably to warm for them.
Thanks Michael,

I will defer to your experience on this. How cool do you let them get in the winter to induce breeding?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I keep mine in the low 60sF to high 50s. I don't think a big cooling is necessary. Their is a lot of info on caudata.org about N. kaiseri. I keep my adults mostly aquatic. I use yarn spawning mops, live plants, and artificial plants to collect eggs. The way they attach eggs reminds me a lot of killifish.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I keep mine in the low 60sF to high 50s. I don't think a big cooling is necessary. Their is a lot of info on caudata.org about N. kaiseri. I keep my adults mostly aquatic. I use yarn spawning mops, live plants, and artificial plants to collect eggs. The way they attach eggs reminds me a lot of killifish.
Thanks for the info. Haven't worked with salamanders in years so your personal experience is much appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would anyone know where to N. Kaiseri can be obtained? I can't find any captive bred available anywhere at the moment. I have a 50 gallon and can't think of anything better to use it for. I checked Sandfire Dragon Ranch, caudata, and kingsnake, no one seems to have any available. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would anyone know where to N. Kaiseri can be obtained? I can't find any captive bred available anywhere at the moment. I have a 50 gallon and can't think of anything better to use it for. I checked Sandfire Dragon Ranch, caudata, and kingsnake, no one seems to have any available. Any help greatly appreciated.
Try GiantGeckos.com by Philippe de Vosjoli that's Phillipe Vosjoli who I orderd mine from. If he doesn't have any currently I'm sure he will soon since they have a number of breeding groups going.

·
Registered
309 Posts
He actually does have a kingsnake add up right now as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I checked the stock on Philip's site, doesn't appear to be offering them, and I can't find any advert on Kingsnake for these little guys. I'm not giving up that easy :confused:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the tip, I checked the stock on Philip's site, doesn't appear to be offering them, and I can't find any advert on Kingsnake for these little guys. I'm not giving up that easy :confused:
E-mail him. They have never been listed on his site. Yet he had them as of last week. Worst case scenario he will let you know that he is sold out and let you know when the next batch will be ready for shippment.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts