Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been waiting to purchase frogs around the same time we could get a Uromastyx Ornata. We recently acquired a breeder for the Uromastyx so we are in final discussions for the Varadero or the Lowalnd Fantastica. Anybody with an opinion is wanted. We have a 30 gallon fully automated with lights and misting per the real time weather data in the rainforest in South America. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My wife and I have been waiting to purchase frogs around the same time we could get a Uromastyx Ornata. We recently acquired a breeder for the Uromastyx so we are in final discussions for the Varadero or the Lowalnd Fantastica. Anybody with an opinion is wanted. We have a 30 gallon fully automated with lights and misting per the real time weather data in the rainforest in South America. Thanks!

If you're considering Ranitomeya imitator "varadero" or Ranitomeya fantastica "lowland", I would recommend the imitator "varadero".

You're much more likely to see them. The fantastica have a reputation of being far more shy than the imitator.

Fantastica also have a reputation for jumping out of the enclosure.

There are caresheets on this forum for both these species. I'd suggest reading them :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and no! I am looking at the Fantastica morphs. I originally looked at the imitators but have settled on the Fantastica for this enclosure. But with so many different localities it makes the final selection difficult.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Lowlands from what I hear will be more bold than the varadero. However, the varadero have the bright orange and deep blue color to make up for it. Lowlands are extremely variable so theres always that excitement to see what your froglets will look like.
I would most likely go lowland if it were me. I would also base my decision on availability and price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have never had imitators, so I can't compare but my Lowland fants are pretty bold. They are usually out and about in the morning consistently, intermittently throughout the day, and out again during the evening. They are much more likely to be seen when humidity is highest.

They can definitely be skittish and you do need to be very careful when accessing their tank as they can quickly jump out without you noticing

Here's a video of them in their tank

https://youtu.be/TughihyHggE

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Variability has been a huge selling point on the lowland for sure. And my son likes them and it’s technically his tank. So I think will concede. I was also trying to find some true Black Jeans but those seem like a near impossibility to track down if anybody knows people or an ethical company that breeds those let me know! But they seem to be like searching the desert for a unicorn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts