Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the trouble to buy orchids from Lowes. I was getting the last of my supplies today and saw the miniature orchids and they would work great.but I am not familiar with the CO2 method or were to even get it. Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The orchids sold at big box stores are usually not suitable for vivariums. They typically require a dry rest period and/or large variations between day and night temps to induce flowering.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
not necessarily true. he mentioned orchids specifically. there are some flowering plants that will do great in terrariums found at lowes. gotta know what to look for though.

james

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Phalaenopsis are pretty useless, but I have seen some very nice Paphs at Lowes that could work in a larger viv. But I do find them useful for other plants. The one Lowes I frequent commonly has plenty of relatively hard-to-get ferns, and an awesome selection of small succulents that would be great for desert vivaria. I've grabbed a Dischidia pectinoides at one once, too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I live in west virginia - not the best place for such a specific hobby lol i get most of my stuff online but i get a lot of plants at lowes. the only plant i've gotten there that has not worked out for me are the Phalaenopsis lol I have two - both dropped their flowers within a week and half. the first one i bought lost its stems, the second still has its stems but no sign of reflowering. they both look healthy and i am avoiding root rot but i doubt if they will ever flower (I'm scared of using orchid food/fertilizer with my frogs in the tank...) and of course thats why I bought them. I've attached some pics of the plants I have gotten at lowes that are working out for me - the plant names show up if you hover your cursor over the pic :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I also got two Phalaenopsis at lowes. They also dropped their flowers but I expected this. I think the flowers drop due to stress as well as they really are not supposed to bloom for an extended period anyway. The remaining plants are doing well. The lighter colored plant in my smaller viv has put out two new small leaves. The larger dark green leaved plant is a favorite hang out for my cobalts right now.

I'd be curious what the problems are with this species long term in a vivarium. I "planted" them by tieing them gently to my mopani wood with a bit of black thread and then placed a bit of sphagnum around the roots to retain moisture. This is how they were planted, but the moss was much tighter packed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The phals can probably do okay long-term, as long as the roots breathe and you keep water from collecting at the base of the leaves for extended periods of time. But I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to flower in there.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
The phals can probably do okay long-term, as long as the roots breathe and you keep water from collecting at the base of the leaves for extended periods of time. But I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to flower in there.
Yeah thats fine. I'm ok with them not flowering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts