Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first two frogs in May, 2010. It was two Lorenzos. I tried like mad to breed them and they tried like mad too, lol. Eventually, the three of us figured out that they were both males.

So, I traded one of them for a female, sometime last winter or spring. Can't recall. This time, the breeding worked out a little better. They were laying at least one clutch per week. However, none of the eggs hatched to tads. They would melt or explode. Sometimes the melty or explody stuff would turn a beautiful shade of violet.

Anyway, been trying all sorts of things to help get it right. Fattened them up, put them on a diet, made it wet, made it dry, heat up, heat down... blah blah. I've added Repashy Vit A to their supplement rotation, at less than once per week, and, I've tried some other secret tips, shhhh.

The last thing I did was to make them warmer. Previously, they were kept around 70-72. With this last clutch, I hung a heat lamp near by to raise the temps. Now they are around 74-76.

I don't know if any of the things I did helped, or, if they are doing it on their own, but, I might have my first viable clutch!

Now, before people start PMing me about froglets (you know who you are :p ), the first viable froglets belong to Julio, since the baby-momma came from him. So, send your PMs to Julio (hahah just kidding). :D

Ok, the point of this thread is to track the progress of my clutch. If this clutch doesn't make it, I've got another one, recently pulled.

I am very open to any suggestions to help me along the way. :)

Picture of the parents

Video of the parents courting some time back

Pics of clutch
With flash

Without flash

Really bad, but, mercifully short, video of wiggling around in the eggs :D

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Congratulations, Chris! They look great! I've got my fingers crossed for you! I know how it feels to wait and wait... I'm still waiting for a good BYH clutch. :(

·
Registered
543 Posts
Congrats Kris!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Triangle breeds another morph of darts!!!!!!! Maybe I need to play around with the environment with the variabilis and then they will lay for me. Lots of calling, no babies.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Congrats Kris, keep up the good work.

Also, be careful with the VitA. It wasn't designed to be used regularly. It's intended to treat hypovitaminosis. Overuse of VitA may lead to hypervitaminosis (which is just as bad as what you're attempting to treat for). It should be used no more than once a week, and chances are with regular use of other Repashy supplements which contain vitamin A you can phase the VitA out of the rotation rather quickly.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And then there were two ....

When these guys crash and burn, they go fast! So far, the remaining two look ok and are still moving around. I don't always remove bad eggs, but, with these guys I will as they have a tendency for molding and getting smooshy.

I'm concerned with what appears to be a white spot on the nose of the tad on the right. What do you guys think about that?

Also, here is a pic of the next clutch in line. This is about when they usually start melting. There is a lot of debris in their dish but I'm reluctant to move them. It seems like when they melt, the membrane sort of dissolves around them. I don't want to disturb the membrane.

Good news is that the parents have been in the Love Hut all day. :D

Jake, thanks for the reminder about Vit A. I did use it sparingly and not at all in the past few weeks. Figured the parents were more important to me than breeding them and didn't want to potentially jeopardize their health with too much Vit A. I might give them a bit more, soon, depending on how the eggs are progressing. It does appear that they are getting better.

eggs

remaining tads (note the white on nose)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I meant to mention that the second tad to go still looked good. The tad looked normal but the egg sack went flat and dissolved around him. I put him in a tiny bit of water, not enough to cover him. He doesn't have the look of death but he's not moving. I don't expect him to continue to develop in there, just thought it would be interesting to see.

Anyway, anyone know what's going on when the egg sack dissolves but the tad still appears ok?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I meant to mention that the second tad to go still looked good. The tad looked normal but the egg sack went flat and dissolved around him. I put him in a tiny bit of water, not enough to cover him. He doesn't have the look of death but he's not moving. I don't expect him to continue to develop in there, just thought it would be interesting to see.

Anyway, anyone know what's going on when the egg sack dissolves but the tad still appears ok?
How old are the eggs?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
There are a lot of opinions about this, but I do remove tads from their eggs on occasion, especially when they develop normally and get into the situation your tadpoles are getting. I also use the methylene blue (diluted three or four drops per gallon of water) to help keep bacterial infections from destroying the eggs.

I have a 2.1 group going (thanks to a loaner female from Erick G.) and hope to have results soon as well.

Good luck! Richard.

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How old are the eggs?
The tads where pulled last Saturday. The more recent eggs were pulled around Tuesday. I didn't document the date but will when the next batch is pulled.

It seems like they develop slowly and I've wondered if that's why the egg sack goes before they do. I was hoping that increasing temps would speed development time.

I recall one picture I sent to Bill to check out. The tad had been in the egg sack for over two weeks and was no where near ready to come out. He didn't make it.

What do you think?

1 - 20 of 510 Posts