Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 3 months of growth in my mostly Peruvian/Ecuadorian 37-gallon vivarium -- though I've made a few exceptions and am willing to be flexibile moving forward. There's some maintenance to be done, as a few of the plants are getting out of control, and I don't really like the maranta and will probably remove it.

But I'm still struggling to get coverage on the walls and am looking for plant suggestions.

Currently I have placed pilea depressa in various locations hoping it provides cover on some of the branches, but I'm not sure it will grow on the walls. I have a cutting of ficus quercifolia in the bottom right that might eventually really start to take over, but it's not a native plant and it might come out too, if a better option comes around. There's also marcgravia sp. Peru in the mix that might climb a wall and spread eventually. Finally, I succumbed and added some very not-native java moss to the upper left which may start to provide some coverage, but I don't think I want a java moss background.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe look into using some ferns like Microgramma. I think a smaller Philodendron species or Marcgravia rectiflora could do really well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
So you have a choice to make: do you want fast gratification, and then a lot of trimming down the road, or do you want to wait a year (or more) to get the covered look you’re going for?

Marcgravia will cover your walls, if it’s happy, eventually. The oak leaf fig will do it a little faster. The Java moss will spread if you keep the area it’s in very wet, but it’s also slow. You could leave all of those in place and in maybe two years you’ll have the look you’re going for. Same (in my experience) with Microgramma or any of the vining mini ferns, they are extremely slow growing.

Here are some other suggestions:
Columnea gloriosa is native to Central America, you could place it high up and let it trail down. I’m not sure how fast it grows.

Solanum sp. ‘Ecuador’ or similar is a plant with interesting leaves that will grow much faster than what you have. It’s a trailer, but I think it will climb walls, since it seems to root wherever the stem touches things.

There are a bunch of small-leaved Philodendrons that would work, but they would need to be trimmed occasionally. I like Philodendron ‘Micans’, a velvet-leaved variety of hederaceum, which is native to Central America. I haven’t grown it (I’m about to get a cutting) but I believe it’s easy and pretty vigorous.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestions! I've actually got a micorgramma 'Ecuador - reptans' that is starting to finally take some hold and might provide some coverage as it creeps around. I also have columnea gloriosa in there in a few places as well. One is planted in the top left and my hope was it would drape down, the other is planted at the substrate level and can be seen front and center.

Solanum sp. Ecuador is on my list for sure. I'll be adding it in my next order.

I'll check out some philodendrons, and I also have a few species in grow-out tanks that might be suitable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Probably not from Peru but you have a big surface to cover and I suggest you at least one of this three ficus species : punctata, pumila, scandens.
You can use one of them to cover most of the background then add other climbers to get a better overall result.

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Probably not from Peru but you have a big surface to cover and I suggest you at least one of this three ficus species : punctata, pumila, scandens.
You can use one of them to cover most of the background then add other climbers to get a better overall result.
Good suggestions. I was just going to suggest punctata. I would look at some Rhaphidophora - hayi and korthalsii work great in my tanks for that purpose. Ariel's comments on patience are really key, too. You can get what you want faster but it will end up being invasive or you can be patient and get something lower maintenance that might look ever better.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts