Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am am starting to set up 10 and 20 long inverts. I have never set up inverts before. I have 10 and 20 normals for tincs. So, I was wondering if I you can post pics of your inverts. I am going to use- great stuff foam, wood, cork bark, and coco filler for the background, plus broms, and other plants.
Thank you for your time.
TQ

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
verts

Jared-
Nice set up, I plan on pretty much doing the same as you did for the door. But, I am going to use a piano hinge, and silicon them togeather. Your idea, allows the door to hinge, and can you pull out the glass, that would be better.
How was putting the background in? What darts are you going to house? Mine are for vents.
Thanks,
TQ

G

·
This tank is going to be temp for my 2 leucs, but will house a trio of imitators.

The background went easy. I used great stuff and covered it with a mixture of cocofiber, peat moss, and quickcrete covered with more coco/peat.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
verts

whats quickcrete? is it something you use after you do the coco/ peet moss misxture? I have not heard about it-
TQ

G

·
Here is a picture of my first one:

and here was the swing door... hated it so changed doors:

I have more pics, if you want to see them but this gives you the idea.

G

·
Ben -

That second picture, is that a 10g or 20g with that hood on it? I think I saw on your page you have PC's in there. I was wondering how good is the light penetration is to the bottom of the tank with those? For a 20g should a person pick up 3 of the 13W kits from ahsupply or would 4 be more appropriate to get good light penetration down to the subtrate?

thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
verts

Ben,
Thanks for the pics. I have seen the ten gallon on your site, and really like it. One thing tho, it does not show, how you attatched the cork to the back. I want to use just cork for the back, for my 10 gallon inverts, and a combonation of, foam, wood, and coco for the 20 talls.
Have you changed the door on this one?
Thank you,
TQ

G

·
Hi,
I have 3-20 high verts set up side by side and another setup with 3-15 highs side by side. What I would do is get the shoplight fixtrue that is 4ft and put 4-10's under it.
I have a 96watt cf kit that fits perfectly over the 3-20's. So if you are going to make more then one viv that I'd pass on 13 watt kits and get more lighting either a shoplight fixture or maybe a 55watt or 96 watt setup.IMO the shoplight with T-8 bulbs does about as good a job for lighting as a 96watt. My vivs are just like Ben Green's setup with the vents and swing down doors.
Mark W.

G

·
The tank I have pictured above is a 10gallon vert.
I have 3 13watt CF lights over it. My 20 verts are lined next to each other so I can run fewer (higher wattage) bulbs. The tanks brom love the amount of light from this setup. I will agree with Mark, that is you have several best to light them together.
The cork back on the back is from Black Jungle. It is one of their "Virgin Cork Panels". It is flat and just siliconed on. The door is still the same on this one, but I hate it. I also made a 20 gallon vert like this, but every vert since has been made with a fold down door like the breeder rack:

This is one of my 20 gallon verts (with snails :() when I wfirst set it up.
Now it is so grown over I have a hard time finding the frogs :?

This tank has the same door as the first 10 vert, but with the side opening it looks much more clean. What is nice about the doors like this is you can make them for cheap. I was even selling a kit for $25 at one point, but just ran out of free time.
I am now using "Cocos Panels" for my back grounds. I just love this stuff, plants grow crazy on it. I also like the looks of tree fern, but don't like the environmental side effect. I wouldn't waste foam in a 10, but I would use it in a 20vert in a heart beat. I am getting away from aquarium tanks now and doing full custom. We have made 2 designs, but I am drawing a third as we speak. I want them made out of acrylic I will, but want glass sliding doors! and they are going to be much larger!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
verts

Ben,
I do like the side door for a " clean front look" However, it looks like a pain to get into each cage if you place 2 or more in a row. I plan on having a set up like your 6 tanks for my thumbs.
I am going to try the foam on one 20 long- if it works out- all my large inverts will be with foam, if not, back to the drawing board. I think the small inverts will be with the coco mat.
As for lighting. I like the 96 watt PC, but I also feel that a 4 foot shop light with varalux bulbs a couple inches away from the glass will work too.
I do see a drain in the front of the tanks. How do you work that with the hydroton, or terra lite depending where you got it. Also, it looks like you have a misting system installed- the last pic, it looks like some sort of sprayer comming from the room.
All in all, I have always been impressed with your tanks, and one day will have a set, set up like yours. I would like to know how your customs are comming. I have designed out a couple different tanks for darts, but never really done anything with them.
Thanks,
TQ

G

·
You are correct, the side opening tank is a single tank in my bedroom. I would hate to try and work a rack with that design. I use a large mixture of lights. I have the double bulb shop lights over my rack system now, because of heat issues. Most the brom are putting off pups so I see no problem with them. I have a few pics of the drain I will have to get posted to my site. It is a push in fitting, siliconed in, with a screen on the back. I haven't had any problems so far, fingers crossed!
The last pics just has a bulk head installed to cover a hole I drilled for a misting nozzle. Because its in my bedroom, I don't have a mister hooked up to it. That is the tank with the fogger hooked up, and I love that effect!

Thank you for the compliments!
I will post pics of the tanks once we figure out the design!
My tanks keep getting bigger and bigger, I hope to have all my breeders in a minimum of 30 gallon tanks by the end of 2005.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
verts

Ben,
I would like to have my breeder in a min of a 20 tall. But, thats if I dont go for custom tanks. One thing, I really like, is a slanted door. Slanted back, if that makes sense. This way, the front does not collect with condensation, and stays clear. Plus, my frogs cant seem to get out this way.

So, the plug drain thing, is it through glass or plexi?
Thank you,
TQ

G

·
I agrew the slant front tanks works pretty good!
Justin W. (buisness partner) build one a while back and now has luecs in it.

Ok back to the vert 10's. The drain goes through a piece of plexi. I just "gorillia glue" in on the outside and then silicone the inside.
While the drains in the front are not the prettest thing in the world, I love in for the rack. Makes it very easy to remove all the plumbing and pull the tank if I need to.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
verts

Ben,
Do I really need a drain? I have never used ones in my tinc cages. I have them set up the same way. I wont have an auto mister in the inverts. But they look cool.

As for your new cage you pictured, I like it. One thing , I noticed the door exstends further to the sides than the cage. If your trying to place several in a row, there will be a little gap between cages. How much of a gap would it be. I am short on space, and really cant afford to loose any open space.
Thanks,
TQ

G

·
Re: verts

trimtrig said:
Ben,
Do I really need a drain? I have never used ones in my tinc cages. I have them set up the same way. I wont have an auto mister in the inverts. But they look cool.

As for your new cage you pictured, I like it. One thing , I noticed the door exstends further to the sides than the cage. If your trying to place several in a row, there will be a little gap between cages. How much of a gap would it be. I am short on space, and really cant afford to loose any open space.
Thanks,
TQ
I drain my tanks for ease on my part. With the misting system it is a must, but I also have most of my tanks drained. It makes water changes easy, because I just flood the old water out ;)
The picture is a little misleading. The door if flush with the tank sides.
But if you are short on space, then going the custom tank route you can design them for the exact space you have!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
verts

Ben,
I agree customs the way to go. I am lacking the shop space right now.

I would like to see pics of your drains, close ups if you have them.
Thank you,
TQ

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
verts

Ben,
Thanks for the pics- Its still a toss up if I am going to add drains or not. I have figured out how to add a misting system to the 20 long inverts without drilling the top glass, but I still like to manual mist twice daily.
If you do have a pic of the inside, please post. I have almost finalized my invert, with a couple questions left over.
Thank you,
TQ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts