Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Try leaf litter, I have yet to use it but lots of people on this board have switched an love it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
try various types of selaginella

My frogs really seem to love a thick lush carpet of selaginella. You can always try this as a good moss alternative. It looks great also,

Ed

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I could never get moss to grow in my tanks.... I've always used leaf litter. In their natural habitat most of them deal with leaf litter, not moss. A lot of froglets/shy frogs feel more secture (and thus get a tad bolder) when they can just dash under the leaves. Also a great place for the springtails to go crazy that I make sure I have in my tanks. A lot of frogs breed very well laying on the leaves (just make sure not to move it around).

Why bother with all the trouble moss causes when you have all the benifits of leaf litter?

G

·
I'm scared to collect leaf litter, but the thought of buying it just seems rediculous. I was going to collect some in a nature preserve though that is probably of questionable legality, then I found an empty bottle of bug repellant and shied away from the idea. My parents have oak trees, but I know they fertilize their yard. *shrug* maybe I'll just try a different state park.

-Tad

·
Registered
785 Posts
Why don't you just use aquatic java moss. If you have a mister it grows beautiful.

dartsanddragons said:
Hi I'm looking for a good alternative to moss for my breeding tanks. I admit moss looks great but I have too many tanks to plant and don't like the idea of harvesting moss in sensitive areas by uncaring people out to make a buck. Let me know what you think.

Scott

·
Registered
545 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of the good leaves they use in frog tanks (with labels for each type of leaf) That would be really helpful. I live on a greenbelt so we get millions of leaves each year and it'd be fun to put some in a tank.

Everett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts