Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unfortionately, my camera got broken while skiing this weekend, so as of right now I an unable to post a picture of what I am working on. I have posted before on this build, when I was just building together ideas. I have started the construction on the structure and plumbing for my vivariums. they are large in space, its an odd shape to calculate size, being 5 sides. the livable space in the is about 45"x60"X40".
I had planed to seal the living area by spreading a layer of black silicone over the entire inter wood of the structure. I am curious on some thoughts on this or cutting acrylic to fit inside and sealing that. By the time the project is finished they would cost about the same.
any other ideas on sealing the wood on the inside before I start applying GS?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you suggesting no barrier between the the plywood and and gs? I hardly think that is a wise decison. I could take a hand from the salt water reef guys and fiberglass it, that might even end up cheaper.

·
Registered
291 Posts
are you suggesting no barrier between the the plywood and and gs? I hardly think that is a wise decison. I could take a hand from the salt water reef guys and fiberglass it, that might even end up cheaper.
I think that the fibreglass and/or epoxy for going over wood is best, silicone is not so good on wood.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Use a marine grade epoxy to seal the whole thing (west systems or something). you never stated your tank was plywood so it was a bit confusing at first but if you left it bare, the wood would absorb a ton of water, expand, and you would have a mess. Even the humidity and not just standing water will cause the wood to expand so seal the whole thing. Silicone in theory could work but would not be the most effective. If anything penetrated it you would face the same problems. Epoxy is very resistant and strong. If you add some fiberglass cloth to your plywood seams it would be an even stronger joint. But bare plywood+humid viv= bad idea imo

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
there is a particular way you should accomplish this. you'll need to get an epoxy that is animal safe. the acrylic wont work since you would need to weld it all together and at that point using wood at all would be pretty pointless. i wouldnt suggest silicone either. stick with the methods that have worked well for others.

now, and this is purely a theory, but i imagine that with enough coats, dryolk could work for your needs.

james

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input guys. I think I will go with the saltwater epoxy and fiberglass technique. seems to me it will provide the best moisture barrier possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts