Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some 1/4" glass cut for my new 45 pentegon tank and need something to hinge the two pieces together. I want the hinge that just sticks to the outside of each piece with tape, not the one that makes the glass slide into the groove like on a normal Versa-Top type. I have seen this type of hinge a few years ago, but cannot locate it around here anymore. Lowes/Home Depot don't have it either.

Anyone have any access to this stuff or know a store that may sell it now? I haven't tried any aquarium websites yet, so i'm off to them next.

Mike Clark

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nges

Mike

As Tim said, I do have the hinges. They are acrylic piano hinges. I also have pulls (handles) and other parts. Let me know if you have any questions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What lengths do the piano hinges come in? Is it easy enough to cut to size? does it only fit quarter inch glass? or?

-Tad

·
Registered
403 Posts
The piano hinges are very easy to cut to size. It's like cutting a thin piece of plexi glass. Rather than slipping over the two pieces of glass like a standard hinge an aquarium glass cover, piano hinges are siliconed onto one side of the glass. This means you could probably use them on any width of glass although weight might become a problem with the thicker sizes. It seems like it's a lot of weight for my hinges to support with just 1/8" glass.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hinges

As Devin said, the hinges are easy to cut. I use a hacksaw with a fine blade, so the cut is smooth. I actually use 3/16 to 1/4" glass on my vertical 10's and the weight of the glass does not seem to bother the hinges. You do need to make sure and make a good bond with the silicone though. I recommend putting something with some weight over each side of the hinge untl the silicone cures. This way, you are assured of a good bond.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken,

I got the hinges from you yesterday, thanks for the quick delivery! Time to get out the silicone!

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts