Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two large aquariums (125 & 150 gallons) I am going to convert into vivs. Neither has a lid or top currently. I would like help/ ideas / pictures on your lids and viv tops. How do you construct them. Are they mostly screen, or screen / glass combos or wood ? How high up are the lights from the top of the tanks ? Etc Etc... I assume I could build a lid/ top frame out of wood and cover the open area with screen. Im not sure how much should be open air/ screen versus sealed/ solid covered. For vivs this big Im assuming 4' lights would be the best bet. Any help (photos are great) on lid/ tank top construction is appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking of doing something simmiliar. It appears most people have glass tops though. Are glass tops/ canopies the norm ?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You have to give more information. It depends completely on what kind of humidity the animals you are keeping, require. But all you say is that you keep all kinds of things. If you are keeping all kinds of things, together, you will find that people here tend to frown on that. We believe each pair or group of animals should have a viv that is properly set up for their particular species.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Ahh, sorry I can't help there. I know nothing of their requirements. I was afraid you were wanting to mix frogs with lizards, snakes, and maybe a dwarf gorilla! lol. Most of us use glass with a small, (less than 10 percent) section of screen because we are keeping dart frogs and looking for 8o or 90 percent humidity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, cresteds can take high humidity, but need cycles to dry out a bit. I guess I will just have to do some experimenting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you cant get much lid help here, another good forum ive been on is RepticZone. They cover a lot more of the different reptiles rather then just dart frogs and such. A bigger area of expertise sometimes help. I know they have a lot of people who are experienced with geckos. A lot of them helped me when i was breeding leopard geckos. Not shunning you away from here just giving you another option to check out. They are pretty friendly there too.

Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts