Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a temp controller I can plug my space heater into not really sure what I need or where to get it...any advice?
I would like something that plugs into the wall and the space heater would just plug into that. Precision is a must :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ranco would prob. be heavy enough to control it. I use an oil filled heater in my frog room. I just monitor the temps and adjust as needed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
not sure of any thing that could transfer the amount of electricity used from the heater to the wall outlet... space heaters use a lot of juice. Does your heater not have any kind of thermostat??? Just an ON and OFF switch?

If the room you are heating is rather small and doesn't require a large heater, then you may be better off just getting a cheap space heater with a cheap thermostat built in and just experiment with it for a day or two to get the temp right, unless you happen to buy one with an accurate digital thermometer on it. I'm guessing about $20-50 would get you a decent heater that should easily heat a spare bedroom and have a built in thermostat.

Or just wait a few months and worry about it next winter;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Ranco could possibly be strong enough to handle it. I would check temps in the room and adjust the heater to the temp you want. I would personal stay away from a space heater. Oil filled would be safer.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I use a Ranco with an oil filled electric heater. ETC Supply They are very accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya it's an oil filled heater. But it literally has settings 1 through 6 on it to control the heat output. And on setting 2 it ranges between 69 and 81 in the room which is horribly innacurate. I have tried just monitoring it but the closest I can get it is on that setting number 2 but the swings are still huge.

Thanks for the link to that ranco! I think that's probably what I will go with. So that unit just plugs into the wall and you program the temperature to where you want it? Which gauge wire and amp draw should I go for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Ya it's an oil filled heater. But it literally has settings 1 through 6 on it to control the heat output. And on setting 2 it ranges between 69 and 81 in the room which is horribly innacurate. I have tried just monitoring it but the closest I can get it is on that setting number 2 but the swings are still huge.

Thanks for the link to that ranco! I think that's probably what I will go with. So that unit just plugs into the wall and you program the temperature to where you want it? Which gauge wire and amp draw should I go for?

Thanks!
The standard one works fine unless you plan on drawing more than 1500 watts with your heater. 16g 13amp 1500w

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I use a Ranco with an oil filled electric heater. ETC Supply They are very accurate and reliable.
You never fail to amaze me with the sites you come up with...if I read the information correctly, this same controller can be programed to have a portable room sized air conditioner plugged in as well....neato.... Thanks for the site...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use a Johnson A419 to control my oil space heater. Works great. Just make sure the heater your using will return to heating mode after power is cut from it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Another vote for a Ranco controller -plenty enough precision, very rugged and designed to withstand a powerful electrical draw. These have used to control chillers in the saltwater / reef for many many moons.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You never fail to amaze me with the sites you come up with...if I read the information correctly, this same controller can be programed to have a portable room sized air conditioner plugged in as well....neato.... Thanks for the site...
Hey Judy, the one I linked is called a single stage ETC (electronic temperature controller). You can use it to control a heater OR an air conditioner--or even just a fan or swamp cooler for that matter.
If you want to be able to set it and forget it, you can get the 2 stage model. With the 2 stage you can control a heater AND an air conditioner. Temp gets too low and the heater kicks on. These are used a lot by reefers with high end systems. Here is a link for the 2 stage. ETC Supply

Reactions: Judy S

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Sounds almost too good to be true...I'll have to somehow find a way to test for safe amp outlet...I already had a barn burn to the ground because of electricity malfunctions...sure don't need it to happen to the house because of my frogs!!!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sounds almost too good to be true...I'll have to somehow find a way to test for safe amp outlet...I already had a barn burn to the ground because of electricity malfunctions...sure don't need it to happen to the house because of my frogs!!!
I've been using these for over 10 years in my reefkeeping and also in my frog room. They are a very high quality tool. You do want to check the amp draw of your heater and/or AC unit. For safety, you should allow about a 10% difference. So if your Ranco is rated for 1500 watts, you should be able to safely run a heater or AC rated at 1,350 watts. If your heater or AC is actually 1500 watts, you can upgrade to the 1800 watt Ranco option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts