Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking at getting tricolors for a hex/octagon viv and was wondering a couple things...

Are they bold?

Do they do better with male heavy or female heavy groups?

Are they more of an arboreal species?

And here's the stupid questions (my sister wanted me to ask):

is it hard to find them since they are brown???

·
Registered
197 Posts
They are so bold and aggressive eaters that they attack you when you feed. They do climb for the more dominate male gets the higher ground, but more of a forest floor animal. I have a 2.2 ratio and they breed like rats. They will start to turn red at almost 9 months or so. IMO great bold frog who calls all the time. Reminds me of a telephone type ring in my twisted mind.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've had mine for less than 6 months (and technically speaking they are S.I.), so I'm no expert, but in my experience they get pretty bold over time. They will duck and cover if you stick your face against the tank, but otherwise can usually be seen and get bolder all the time. I understand they do better with male heavy groups. They are not especially hard to see, being brownish, probably about what you would expect. My female is usually on the ground, and my males are usually calling from different levels in the foliage.

Which brings me to the question you didn't ask. Do they call loudly? YES, and often early. I love mine, but if you are the kind of person that will get pissed from hearing frog calls at 5 in the morning...

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Once they get a year or so old, they begin to develop an amazing red coloration that really stands out in the vivarium. Add that to the fact that they're almost always out calling or foraging in the leaf litter, they are very visible in the vivarium. I'd recommend giving them a decent sized water feature, as they will breed like rabbits, and allowing them to transport their own tadpoles will slow them down a bit.

Btw, I believe what most people call 'trocolors' (IE Santa Isabels) are actually considered E. anthonyi now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a 40 gal breeder, and want to get tricolors. Should I set it up horizontal or vertical?

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Horizontal for sure. They do climb a bit, but spend much more time going through the leaf litter and such. Make sure to include a couple/few broad, smooth-leaved plants - these seem to be preferred calling/egg laying sites.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
What could be better than waking up to a frog calling? :D
Well, I've always assumed that waking up when the sunlight hit my eyes would be nice, but I think I blew it somewhere along the way.

Frogs aren't a bad way, though. Just no snooze button. :)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Our Whites tree frogs wake us up in the middle of the night. Now, those are freakin loud!

***Chuckle*** roll over. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts