Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious and unsure if a specific thread was already started and closed. But Ill just go ahead and start another if that is the case.

As I focus on obligates in my collection, Ill will use as my source of topic. When we purchase a probable male or pair, one of the ideas to help confirm a male is to always look for darkening of the throat, and in my experience it has not been the case everytime. I have on many occasions acquired a frog and assumed it was a female since there was no visual traits of a male call sack....only to eventually catch that frog calling. What I wonder is.....does a young male not exhibit darkening of the throat since it has not made full use or longe term use of it and therefore goes through some skin stretching traits to that of humans such as during pregnancy or maybe to that of overweight stretchmarks on our bodies or is it something long term that will manifest itself as the frog ages which I think is tge case? I have noticed on some of my male pumilios who had no sign of darker throats eventually get it after a few years. If it at all makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
I have some males I cant really tell from the throat...

but also young males wont have developed the stretch marks yet.....

Best way.....buy provens.....or decide ahead of time what each party will do to guarantee the sale...and how mistaken sexes will be handled [ie: trade back, partial refunds, credit ect] if it happens in a sale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts