Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Patricia Tincs 1 leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have finally made an account here, (mostly because I have deleted all other types of social media) but it's not my first time visiting. I have used this discussion board as a resource extensively while building tanks for all of my tank animals and have learn so so much. This place really does seem pretty dang great.

Introductions aside I am slightly(though not very) concerned about one of my 4 frogs as it is smaller than the other three. It has grown in my care and they were all the same size when I got them but this one is still noticeably smaller than it's tank mates. I thought perhaps because I had 4 frogs in a 20 Gal (long) perhaps it might be having issues with competition but there has been no signs of aggression between any of my frogs and it has been eating. There are no other issues I can sus out. I decided to build another tank and just moved it in there tonight. It's the exact same size tank but it now has it all to itself. I'm hoping it will gain more size with out any competition. I don't mind providing pictures once I figure out how to post them if needed but I was wondering what all the pros over here might think.

I purchased the frogs from Josh's Frogs in May this year.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Hello and welcome. Separating them sounds like a good idea. With a frog that's skinnier than its tankmates it's usually a good idea to separate it out so you can keep a special eye on it.

Pictures of the frogs (all of them really) and the tank will also help us to see if there are any other warning signs present.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't exactly say skinnier just smaller. Tbh my other three frogs are kind of obese. This is them right after I moved it. The smaller frog is on the greecian jar tank decoration/hide among the smaller younger plants. I can get better pictures if needed too.

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Also, what species of frogs?

I agree to separate. I've had frogs grow at different rates but they were never skinny. You can use one of those clear sterlite bins to keep it in and make sure it's eating. Then just let it grow on its own. If it gets healthy and to the point it can compete you can try adding it back with it's group.

It sounds like they're young now, but you should consider increasing the size of your tank before they fully mature. 20 longs have limited height and are a bit small for four frogs.

·
Registered
956 Posts
That first frog looks skinny and tincs can be aggressive. You definitely want to remove him.

There's a good chance you'll never be able to keep all four of them together.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Looking at the pictures and your profile, they're Dendrobates tinctorius "Patricia" . Tinctorius do not typically (or often, or really ever) fare well in settings except in male-female pairs.

Also, despite it being a commonly touted size the 5 gallons per frog "rule" is vastly undersized for tinctorius (and basically all other dart frogs).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you for your help. Shortly after I made the post I moved one of the other frogs in there with it because it seemed really freaked out in the new environment all by itself after a few minutes. They are now both settled in for the night and the other two haven't shown too much concern over their absences. I hope that was the right choice.

I also do have a 40gal that I made an error with in building and I'm waiting for the right time to fix it. I have honestly found a lot of peace in building these after losing both my dogs during the pandemic(old age and cancer) and they all bring me a lot of joy. My kids love them too and we would all be devastated if something happened so I'm trying to be proactive with their care.

Would the 40 gal be okay for all 4 of them? I can post pictures of it as well. If not I would not mind trading/selling the "extra" frogs after being sexed for either either a new species or just straight up money lol! Just another reason why I joined this place to network with others who enjoy keeping them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh shucks. I figured that might be the case. I got 4 because I was hoping to get a male female pair and find homes for the spares later. The smaller tank(s) they have now were to be homes for possible froglets later on if needed while I find them homes. I set up that second 20g because I had it and I have been concerned about my smaller frog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts