Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With summer coming soon (am I looking a little too far ahead?), what local bugs can I find that would be good for dart food. I have heard you can find springtails and aphids. What bugs can be found here that would work, where to find them, etc.? Any info on this would be appreciated. Oh, and is dwarf white woodlice in NJ?

Thanks

G

·
Greg, you can make a termite trap easily, find dampwood termites in rotting logs, plant roses and peas etc. for the aphids, Use an aspirator to catch ants and other small insects, you can also go field sweeping and get all kinds of food.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Try

The sky is the limit with field sweepings. Some person called it grass fishing the other day. Look at this one for help http://www.bioquip.com this is where I get my insect nets from. You can get spiders, aphids, small instar grasshoppers and crickets, true bugs, moths, caterpillars. Go to town.
Dave

G

·
The dampwood termites would be culturable, and also the aphids, you can even set up an ant colony. You should definately try field sweeping, you can gey a huge food variety that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts