Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’ve seen the hate towards sphag moss and understand why it’s there. Just wondering if the same is true for live moss, I assumed it wasnt but haven’t been able to find much clarification.

For reference I have just thrown “dusk moss mix” all over my new setup (for ranitomeya variabilis). Side note if you think a particular plant would look good in this tank let me know! (60/45/60)

Plant Leaf Vegetation Grass Pet supply

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Generally speaking, all of my frogs avoid any places in my tanks where moss grows, as these places are wetter than the frogs want.

For this reason, and because it takes up space which the frogs could use and where I could use a bunch of leaf litter, I do not intentionally grow any moss in any of my tanks.

Instead of more plants I would add more hardscape.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally speaking, all of my frogs avoid any places in my tanks where moss grows, as these places are wetter than the frogs want.

For this reason, and because it takes up space which the frogs could use and where I could use a bunch of leaf litter, I do not intentionally grow any moss in any of my tanks.

Instead of more plants I would add more hardscape.
Thank you for the info, I’ll see how it goes as a back drop but will drown out the bottom with leaf litter 👍.

As far as hardscape is concerned, I am indeed still looking for the one perfect stick/log thing to bring it all together. Weekly trips to local pet shops have been the main chore of my weekends 😂

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi all, I’ve seen the hate towards sphag moss and understand why it’s there. Just wondering if the same is true for live moss,
People are not very good at correcting mistakes. We used to struggle to get a cool looking moss carpet on the floor of the tanks. Then we realized that a good thick layer of leaves is what the frogs need. So, instead of using that information as what it is they over correct.

Moss is fine. But, think of it generally as for you. Not for the frogs. No reason to avoid it. But, focus the landscape to the frogs needs and then add some things to make it pleasing for you to look at if you want.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People are not very good at correcting mistakes. We used to struggle to get a cool looking moss carpet on the floor of the tanks. Then we realized that a good thick layer of leaves is what the frogs need. So, instead of using that information as what it is they over correct.

Moss is fine. But, think of it generally as for you. Not for the frogs. No reason to avoid it. But, focus the landscape to the frogs needs and then add some things to make it pleasing for you to look at if you want.
Thank you, that was the aim of this tank, hopefully a “showpiece”. I just wanted to make sure there was not going to be detriment to the lil froggos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts