Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The cameras are setup in 2 areas. One is in an internal room and one is in an external "frog tank". I forget exactly where, but the cams owner lives somewhere that can sustain PDF outside. He has built an outdoor pen that opens to an inside area. The outter area is outside and the inner is temperature controlled. I think at night the frogs come inside bc its warmer.
Its kind of chilly there so the frogs are mostly inside.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The cameras are setup in 2 areas. One is in an internal room and one is in an external "frog tank". I forget exactly where, but the cams owner lives somewhere that can sustain PDF outside. He has built an outdoor pen that opens to an inside area. The outter area is outside and the inner is temperature controlled. I think at night the frogs come inside bc its warmer.
Its kind of chilly there so the frogs are mostly inside.
Just hijacking here ;).

I'm the owner of the website. What you see is an experiment to see if i can keep dart frog outside for the whole year round. The setup is located in the netherlands with a mild sea climate (mild summer/winter). I have chosen the Anthony and Leuco because they are the most sturdy frogs and because they don't mix together.

The basic setup:

The two elements digged in:

And ready:

Because it's outside the moss grows rapidly. Also you don't always see the frogs outside because the size of the cage is rather large and you only see a small part of it.

But the frogs are having a great time and because it is outside they have a wide range of small insects they can eat wich is great. Also it's nice to hear the frogs calling out in the morning ;) wich results in a lot of nests (see pic where a Anthony is carrying his tadpoles).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well it can be rather cold in the winter even as low as 15.8 Fahrenheit. That is why the frog have the option to shelter in the styrofoam box.

Last year when testrunning at some point it was around 15 Fahrenheit outside and the box stayed at a comfortable 61 Fahrenheit. So this year will be exiting to see if they will survive the winter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts