Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my eggs have now hatched and are little tads. (Azurues, may be fine spotted not sure yet as it came from my trio) I have water ready with indian almond leaf but am skeptical to change the tads from the petri dish to new containers. These are my first tads, and more on the way but I don't want to kill the tads.

How hardy are they? I read though the caresheet on dendroboard, but I'm still a little hesitant. Any tips/thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Turkey baster.
Just add some water, suck 'em up carefully, lean the baster over, move to new cup, gently squeeze 'em out.

They are pretty hardy at this point.

I have even used the baster to help remove any part of the egg that might still be sticking to the tad. (happens on preemies sometimes)

The baster also helps with water changes / cup bottom clean up.

Best $1 I ever spent

Tip: I keep a Slurpee straw nearby if I need help with egg slime, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty, sounds good, I'll give it a try with my turkey baster! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are moved! :) Now seeing they have the almond leaves and moss, how long should i wait before supplementing them tiny bits of food?

Frogfreak- Thanks :) it's my first time at this with frogs, though I am and have been breeding fish for a while so I get the idea.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It doesn't hurt to leave them in the petri dish with some water for another 4 or 5 days after they hatch. Especially if they still have external gills. They don't move much at that stage anyway.

I also find our Turkey baster tended to dribble after we sucked things up and a tadpole was frequently in the dribble that leaked out... so I personally much prefer a plastic spoon for separating tads. But there are lots of baster fans out there, so use whatever works best for you!

Good luck with them,

Jeremy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They had been in the petri dish a few days (2-4 days each), a few had external gills but I waited until they all were absorbed. Maybe I'll try leaving them in petri dish longer next time if this doesn't work out.

And yeah that can be tricky a spoon is a great idea!

Ironically my azurues just laid another clutch today!!! I'm gonna leave them in the tank for now for at least 48 hours unless the other female decides she wants to lay her eggs and stops them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts