Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 5 ff cultures that are about 1 month old and they are sitting on a shelf on my computer desk Just yesterday I was going to play my ps2 but I got busy well I ended just sitting my game on top of these ff cultures. While I was just going to clean up a little bit I went to grab the game there was these small white things on it I thought maybe some kinda dust or something But they were all moving. I mean they were real small and were moving. So I took the game and put it in a blue bag and its now on the back porch. After that I put a emty dvd case up there to see if maybe from the ff cultures oh they do got lids on them with coffee filters on the lids to keep the ff inside. Well after 10 minutes of the dvd case being up there it had gotten these little bugs up there to. Has anyone ever experienced this and if so what are these bugs and are they harmful in any way, to me or any one who m ight contact them

thanks

I didnt know where to post this

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hi,

Most likely mites. Do a search in the food forum for mites. Here is an overview: they are everywhere, they can make it into your cultures, they are parasitic and will kill some/all of your flies and larva, they usually don't harm the frogs unless they get out of control, dusting before feeding knocks them off the flies/possibly kills them, if you transfer old flies to a new culture the flies will carry the eggs/mites and your new culture may become infested unless you thorougly dust them first. Control measures include medicines in the culture, shelf paper with miticide, having the bottom of the cultures in water to prevent the mites from making it into the culture, using a more mite resistant top less porous than pantyhose, etc. Dave from Ed's Fly Meat had a great post and said that there were more problems with cultures around 4 or 5 weeks old, the incubation period of the mite eggs (I think), and that he didn't have any problems as long as he throws out the older cultures. I think he may also use the paper.

Best,

Marcos

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I looked up mites and now I know what the paper stuff is you were talkin about. I also have a leopard tortoise, a mississippi map turtle and 3 leopard geckos(none are near the ff culture but they are in the same room) will they hurt my other reptiles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where someone says to have the cultures in water does that mean put water in the container or to sit the cultures into somethingand pour water into what they are sitting in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts