Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So using my free time, I compiled a list of almost all species and morphs (There are still the Phyllobate, Ophaga, Ranitomeya, and Hyloxalus left) that have been and currently are found in the trade whether they be typical or scarce. I ask that no one judges me for this the first time that I will be doing this and it took a lot of work time and research so without further ado here it is:

Allobates Femoralis/Standard
Zaparo/Standard
Talamancae/Standard

Anomaloglossus Baeobatrachus/Standard

Adinobate Minute/Standard
Fulgurites/Standard

Minyobates Steyermarki/Standard

Ameerega Altamazonica(Abiseo/Juicungo/Sisa/Copperback)
Basserli(Tarapoto/Sisa/Saposa/Black)
Bilinguis/Standard
Cainarachi(Standard)
Hahneli(Tahuayo,Iquitos)
Macero/Standard
Pepperi(Orange/Orange Head/YellowGold/Abiseo/San Francisco)
Picta/Standard
Rubriventris/Standard
Silverstonei/Standard
Trivittata(Huallaga Valley/Bajo Huallaga/Huallaga Canyon/Suriname Red/Orange/Green/Greenback)

Epipedobates Anthonyi(Ankas/Sarayunga/Buena Esperanza/Rio Jubones/Santa Marta/Santa Isabel/Rio Saladillo/Tierra Alta)
Boulengeri/Standard
Darwinwallacei(Verkade/Yumbo)
Tricolor(Highland/Rio/Cielito/Morospunga)

Adelphobates Castaneoticus/Standard
Galactonotus(Moonshine/75%Orange/95%Orange/Solid Orange/Lemon Yellow/100% Yellow/Red/Blue/Wedge/Koi)
Quinquevittatus/Standard

Excidobates Captivus/Standard
Mysterious/H

Dendrobates Leucomelas(Banded (Narrow, Wide), Camo, Cerro Autana, Chocolate, Fine-Spot (Bolivar), Green-Foot, Nominate)
Auratus(Alto de Piedra/Bronze/Highland Bronze/Green and Bronze/Blue and Bronze/Turquoise and Bronze/Caldera/Calobre/Giant Blue/Microspotted Blue/Campana/Capira/ Carara/Carpurganá/El cope/El oro/Río San Juan/Caribbean side/Cahuita/Río la Gloria / Rambala/Kuna Yala/Lago Bayano/Pacific side/Pena blanca/Santa Maria/Caribe/San Felix /Taboga/Microspot/Camo/Ancon Hill/Black/Black Capira/Melancon/Green and Black Costa Rican/Green and Black Nicaraguan/ Green and Black Panama/Green and White/Mebalo/Low RIver/Pastores/Portobello/Reticulated /Super Blue/Taboga Reticulated/Rio Cascajal /Blue and Black/Capira Integrades/Colon/Bocas/ Colombian Yellow/Colombian Blue)
Truncatus(Blue(Turquoise)/Yellow
Tinctorius(Alanis/La Fumee/Atachi Bakka/Azureus/Azureus Fine Spot/ Azureus Sky Blue/Bakhuis/Cobalt (French, Guiana, Surinam, Brazilian)/ Citronella/Yellow Back(Saul)/ Cobalt/Western Bakhuis/ Kutari River (UTC, UE)/Lawa/ Lorenzo/Mont Matoury (Cayenne)/Nikita/Dasha/Natasha/Oranje Gebergte/Oyapock/Patricia/Matécho/ Regina(Giant Orange) /Table Mountain/Brazilian Yellow Head (Brazilian Cobalt)/Villa Nova/Oelemarie/Weygoldt/Black Saul/Boulanger/Ensing/Inferalanis/Koetari/Bakhuis Northern/British Guyana Blue-Black/British Guyana Yellow-Black/Nominate/Powder Blue/Powder Grey/Robertus/Sipaliwini (True, Blue, Green, Yellow, Lime-Green)/ Vanessa/Saul ‘Yellow Drop’/Tumucumaque (Peacock)/
(The morphs for this species are probably a little off and incomplete due to this species being a generally variable and rather confusing type when it comes to morphs)

If You notice that there is either a morph or a species that is missing please comment on the name below so that I can add to it. Again There are still the Oophaga, Ranitomeya, Phyllobates, and Hyloxalus that I will be adding so this is not a complete list and I will be adding them when I am done.

Sincerely Mik

· Registered
Sirensis H, Vanessa, Fine Spot Leuc, Galactonotus, Azureus, Auratus G&W, Ankas, Reticulata, Chromes
113 Posts
Great work! I made something similar to this a while back. Its a list of most of the frogs that breeders are working with in the U.S. I'm sure its missing some. I also included links to some of the most well known breeders/suppliers.
Dart Frogs in the U.S.
Feel free to copy/improve/and share again.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the Oophaga and Hyloxalus species!

Oophaga Granulifera
(Quepos/Barú/Dominical/Golfito)
Histronica/Koi/Bahia Solano(Red, Yellow, Orange)/Anchicayá(Banded, Spotted)/ Blue/Buenaventura * Redhead(Small form, Large Form)/ Bullseye(Brown with Yellow spot, Blue Spot, Lacking Spot, Orange Spot, Red Spot, Yellow Spot, White Spot)/Pangala(Yellow, Red)/Quebrada Docordo(Northern/Southern)/ Quebrada Vicordó(Red spots on Middle Line)/Quibdo/(Orange and Gray Blotch, Orange and Gray with Spot, Orange and Gray)Playa de Oro(Red and Black, Red and Caramel, Red and Gray)Tado(Orange, Orange and Brown)/Yellow and Brown Blotched)
Lehmanni(Red, Yellow, Orange)
Sylvatica(Bilsa/Santo Domingo/Lita/San Lorenzo/Situwa)
Pumilio(Aguacate/Aguacate Esperanza/Aguacate Tierra Oscura/Almirante(Man Creek)/ Almirante(Vulture Point)/Aldano/Aldana/Bahía Grande/Bastimentos Gold Dust/ Bastimentos Cemetery/Bastimentos Red Beach Frog/Bastimentos Punta Vieja/ Bastimentos Salt Creek/Bajo Cedro/Blue Jeans(Nicaraguan, Guápiles, High Blue)/Black Jeans(Siquirres)/Bahía Honda/Boca Colubre/Bri Bri/Escudo(Southside, Northside)/Bri Bri (Costa rican)/Bruno/ Bisira/Bri Bri Marbled/Cauchero/Cayo De Agua/Charco la Pava(Yellow,Red,Red with spots)/Chiriquí Grande/Cristobal/Cayó Wilson/Cristobal Bahía Grande/ Cristobal Big Bay/Colón “Bocas del Drago”/Colon “Mimitimbi”/Colon “Villegas Line”/Colon "La Grunta"/Colon "Paunch”/Cayo Nancy/El dorado/El Dorado ‘Spotted’/El Dorado ‘Red’/Ensenada/Esperanza/Darkland(Tierra Oscura)/Punta Clara/Finca Four/Guarumo/Kusapin/Las Tablas/Loma Azul/Loma Colubre /Loma Partida/Loma Golden/Man Creek/Nicky/Pastores/Pico de Chiriquí/Popa "Copper"/Isla Popa/Popa (North)/Popa (South)/Punta de Gallinazo/Punta Laurel/Punta Valiente(Blueville)/Punta Viejo/Punta Valiente(Ryan)/Punta Vieja(Quebrada)/Punta Vieja (Quebrada Pastor)/ Quedrada Pitti/Rambala/Rio Brancae(Red,Yellow)Rio Culubre/Rio Teribe/Rabalo /Robalo(Uyama River)/Rufous Ridge/Robalo(Loma Estrella)/Salt Creek/Solarte/Isla Solarte/Valle Del Rey/Valle Del Rey "Golden"/Vulture Point/Tortuguero/Seis Amigos)

Hyloxalus Azureiventris/Standard
Nexiplus/Standard

Again if you noticed that there is morph missing please comment so that I can add it to the list.

· Registered
Sirensis H, Vanessa, Fine Spot Leuc, Galactonotus, Azureus, Auratus G&W, Ankas, Reticulata, Chromes
113 Posts
This is coming together really nice. Do you think you could share it in a different style? The big paragraphs like the ones for Tincs and Pumilio are hard to digest. Perhaps bullets/sub bullets, or a table.

examples:

Dendrobates:
-Auratus

• Alto de Piedra
  • etc
-Leucomelas
  • Banded
    • Narrow
    • Wide
  • Clown
  • etc
-Tinctorius
  • etc

Dendrobates
AuratusLeucomelasTinctoriousTruncatus
Alto de Piedra Banded (Narrow)etcetc
etcBanded (Wide)
Clown
etc

· Registered
206 Posts
Great work! I made something similar to this a while back. Its a list of most of the frogs that breeders are working with in the U.S. I'm sure its missing some. I also included links to some of the most well known breeders/suppliers.
Dart Frogs in the U.S.
Feel free to copy/improve/and share again.
this excel sheet is super helpful I hope you keep updating it and honestly dendroboard should pin it and also OPs great list too!

· Registered
10 Posts
Dart Frogs in US
I'm opening up the doc for anyone to edit. I have a backup copy of course, but I'm curious if others will add there input.
I edited a copy that is a little easier to read for myself (may not be the case for others).

I see a page listing 50 different species for the Hyloxalus genus and another for the Colostethus genus with 3 species.

· Here to help
7,657 Posts
It is troubling that species/locales/morphs that are in the US but are illegally held are listed without noting that fact. What exactly is the point of listing those species?

· Registered
113 Posts
It is troubling that species/locales/morphs that are in the US but are illegally held are listed without noting that fact. What exactly is the point of listing those species?
Great question! I'm not sure I can give a satisfying answer, but you've definitely got me thinking about what this resource's purpose is. At first I want to say that this is purely for situational awareness or just a current status of the hobby in America. However, that's not completely accurate if we include columns like Underground Reptiles. Maybe columns like that should be deleted?? I'm sure there are more columns that could be added too. Input is welcome.

I like the idea of some kind of label to indicate certain species have a controversial status. Perhaps an asterisk* with an endnote. I don't want to offend anyone. I also don't want this used as a tool to attack anyone because they're working with a certain species. Feel free to suggest a statement with neutral language that avoids offense. I'll try and come up with something too.

Also, I'm not 100% sure which species should have an asterisk. I assume you're referring to Tumucumaque and Blue Galactonotus. There might be others. Go ahead and add an asterisk or a double asterisk if we need to have two separate endnotes. Maybe a double asterisk would be good for Exidobates. I don't know if anyone is working with those, but maybe someday someone like Tesoros de Colombia can develop an ethical means to introduce those in the states. A few Andinobates would be amazing too. Dreams...

· Here to help
7,657 Posts
Well, the matter is beyond controversial; the ones you mention are without question in violation of US federal law. As a hobbyist, both these and the ones I'll mention below justifiably motivate a fair amount of shame because of the wrongs that were done in trafficking them for my "benefit", or at least the "benefit" of a hobby that I'm a part of. But the reason this is interesting to me as a moderator is that promoting possession of those animals crosses a very clear line here on DB; it is abundantly clear from other examples in herpkeeping that simply pointing out that a certain species is available spurs demand for it regardless of the qualifiers attached to the mention, and so promotes possession of them. Promoting violations of wildlife law is strictly prohibited on DB.

Your concern for people's feelings is laudable, but offending anyone who is supporting smuggling is a hard thing to be very concerned about, IMO. I'm glad there's a sort of implicit understanding by some of our users outside the US -- whose laws and understandings are quite different than those in the US -- who keep some of these frogs that if they keep fairly quiet about them we won't push the issue.

'Controversial' frogs are all that probably didn't leave their native range states with permits -- probable examples are: all non-UE Ranitomeya, all Brazilian species/locales, all Venezuelan species/locales, probably all the older lines of the large eggfeeders, most lines of Colombian frogs, all the laundered pumilio. I don't think most keepers know that many of the frogs (and other herps) they keep aren't exactly legit, and frankly experienced keepers should do a better job of educating newcomers on this.

I appreciate your productive response to my question about a perennially hot topic. :)

Also: I don't understand the comment about UGR. Do you mean they're not a part of the hobby?

· Registered
113 Posts
Well, the matter is beyond controversial; the ones you mention are without question in violation of US federal law. As a hobbyist, both these and the ones I'll mention below justifiably motivate a fair amount of shame because of the wrongs that were done in trafficking them for my "benefit", or at least the "benefit" of a hobby that I'm a part of. But the reason this is interesting to me as a moderator is that promoting possession of those animals crosses a very clear line here on DB; it is abundantly clear from other examples in herpkeeping that simply pointing out that a certain species is available spurs demand for it regardless of the qualifiers attached to the mention, and so promotes possession of them. Promoting violations of wildlife law is strictly prohibited on DB.

Your concern for people's feelings is laudable, but offending anyone who is supporting smuggling is a hard thing to be very concerned about, IMO. I'm glad there's a sort of implicit understanding by some of our users outside the US -- whose laws and understandings are quite different than those in the US -- who keep some of these frogs that if they keep fairly quiet about them we won't push the issue.

'Controversial' frogs are all that probably didn't leave their native range states with permits -- probable examples are: all non-UE Ranitomeya, all Brazilian species/locales, all Venezuelan species/locales, probably all the older lines of the large eggfeeders, most lines of Colombian frogs, all the laundered pumilio. I don't think most keepers know that many of the frogs (and other herps) they keep aren't exactly legit, and frankly experienced keepers should do a better job of educating newcomers on this.

I appreciate your productive response to my question about a perennially hot topic. :)

Also: I don't understand the comment about UGR. Do you mean they're not a part of the hobby?
Thanks for making things clear and giving me a chance to respond. I restricted access and deleted that copy of the doc. Nobody should have access to it through Dendroboard now.

My comment about UGR meant that they are not breeders--just resellers. They don't directly contribute to the hobby. Sometimes you have to decipher the names of the frogs on their site and some of their frogs are WC.

· Registered
10 Posts

Is there a list/guide for "non-contoversial" dealers/sellers? I did a search on the forum for ""reputable dealers" but didn't see anything recent.
It's somewhat confusing when looking at this Site (MorphMarket supports USARK as a Platinum Member and requires our users to commit to this Code of Ethics) and they have links to "seller" sites that state they have "field collected" or "wild caught" individuals along with "domestically produced".

· Here to help
7,657 Posts
Thanks for making things clear and giving me a chance to respond. I restricted access and deleted that copy of the doc. Nobody should have access to it through Dendroboard now.

My comment about UGR meant that they are not breeders--just resellers. They don't directly contribute to the hobby. Sometimes you have to decipher the names of the frogs on their site and some of their frogs are WC.
This is a messy subject, and not easy to navigate. Maybe more discussion about how we best keep the hobby legit would help come up with better options than simply pretending things don't exist. I appreciate you doing that, and I'm sorry that seems like a good move (to you, and to me, but I'm sure not to everyone) for right now. I'm happy to talk more about it, publicly or privately.

That's an interesting point about UGR -- interesting in how 'contribute to the hobby' can mean different things. There's another fun discussion there too -- which sorts of participants in a hobby "contribute" to it. :)

Is there a list/guide for "non-contoversial" dealers/sellers? I did a search on the forum for ""reputable dealers" but didn't see anything recent.
It's somewhat confusing when looking at this Site (MorphMarket supports USARK as a Platinum Member and requires our users to commit to this Code of Ethics) and they have links to "seller" sites that state they have "field collected" or "wild caught" individuals along with "domestically produced".
I don't know of any compiled dealer list I'd recommend (I do recommend some breeders over others, of course, but I don't recommend following any list I've seen). In light of our practice of not reviewing sellers in the discussion sections it isn't something that DB is officially getting involved in. Those of us familiar with the now defunct 'Board of Inquiry' on another site should have a pretty good idea of one reason why this is.

Given that each keeper's criteria for 'reputable' is different, it seems that each keeper doing thorough research and making their own decision on who to buy from is a pretty good method. In all areas of the captive herp market, the amount of agreement on which sellers are reputable is very, very small.

· Registered
10 Posts
I don't know of any compiled dealer list I'd recommend (I do recommend some breeders over others, of course, but I don't recommend following any list I've seen). In light of our practice of not reviewing sellers in the discussion sections it isn't something that DB is officially getting involved in. Those of us familiar with the now defunct 'Board of Inquiry' on another site should have a pretty good idea of one reason why this is.

Given that each keeper's criteria for 'reputable' is different, it seems that each keeper doing thorough research and making their own decision on who to buy from is a pretty good method. In all areas of the captive herp market, the amount of agreement on which sellers are reputable is very, very small.
Ok, thanks for your reply! I will continue to research sellers and continue to season my first enclosure.

· Registered
1.0.1 R. Variabilis Southern
28 Posts
For what it's worth, there is a website of "the reputable dart frog business and breeder association"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts