Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while reading this thread
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5056

RANDY wrote:Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that I, too have alot of calling from pums and castaneoticus at night. Usually an hour or two after the lights go out. It could be that many diurnal frogs call at the waxing/waning hours of the ay, but they don't get that chance when it comes to artificial lighting. Just a guess...
It got me thinking has anyone made a light source that dims over a period of time and if so what components do you use? And do you notice that the darts tend to call when the lights start dimming?

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you have fluorescent tubes above the enclosure, you could rig up a timer so that only one tube turns off at a time. You could even make it so that the last ones to turn off have lower color temps so it looks like sundown. This would only work if you had a lot of tubes though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
timed lights

I just saw a product a few days ago that actually turns up the lights for the first half hour and then after twelve hours turns them off for a half hour. Unfortunately I can't remember who made it. It was from one of the companies linked on this site.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
This unit would work awesome for this purpose, but not many people use VHO's for PDF's. I was considering this unit for one of my bigger tanks, but ditched the idea because of the total price.

I think I've seen somewhere a dimmable compact has been developed...keep looking.

What I was considering for my frog room is to hook up the ceiling fixture to a timer, with a low watt bulb, to turn on a half hour or so before the big lights come on, and shutting off a half hour after the lights go down...that would be a little gentler.
Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The product refered to that swithes on for 1/2 hour dimmed, then goes to full strength for 12 hrs, then dims for 1/2 hour before switching off is actually a replacement starter for fluorescent lights. I have one and it is excellent, and the frogs are not thrown into complete darkness suddenly.
This is a European product, however which I saw originally on vivaria.nl.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts