Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the search for lights for my 3ft bakers rack and I can not find any anywhere!! Im looking for the same type idea as the plug in 4ft shop lights but nobody seems to carry them. Im wanting to hand the lights from the bottom of the shelf above my vivs with the chain verses setting a light on top of the vivs.

Anyone have any suggestions? know where I can get 3ft plug in shop lights? do they make such a thing? I can find the ones you have to hardwire in all day long but thats not what I want. Not to mention im no electrician by any means!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
With my job I am in and out of Lowe's and other hardware stores a lot. I have never seen a 3 foot, ready wired shop light. Sorry.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use these. Super slim and looks nice just sitting on top of tanks.

Coralife aqualight t5 36"

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
2 ft. 4-Bulb T5 High Output Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture-V24 at The Home Depot

How about these, a bit pricey but it will fill your needs.
They also have a 36" unit that is like a shop light that that uses twin T-5 bulbs. You have to wire them up yourself but that's easy enough using an inexpensive extension cord of the proper length like I did. I built a wood box and installed the unit inside, it's a few inches longer than the shelving unit but it looks fine to me. Personally I like the 24" units with the 4 bulbs. Will have to try one out. Good luck, Jon

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have gotten the ones from Walmart and cut them down before. They were the only ones I could find that you easily take the end caps off and put them back one again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
At home depot they have 3 foot strips with either 1 or 2 21 watt t-5s. I use these for my 3 foot bakers rack and they are easy to hang from the bottom of a rack with zipties! Only thing is you do have to buy the power cable seperately and connect the wires with electrical tape, etc. but it is really easy... takes me like 10 minutes at the most...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! im looking to go the cheapest way possible because I will need 2-3 for the different shelves. I bought a grow light at lowes today and a under the cabinet light, I mounted them with zip ties. The purple grow light is odd looking to me but maybe it will help my plants. Anyone use these lights on there vivs? Can you tell they actually work and help?
The under the cabinet light is way to yellow for my taste and for what I had to pay for it, itll be going back cause I was hoping for a white light. I may try some of the LED light strips they have.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Thanks guys! im looking to go the cheapest way possible because I will need 2-3 for the different shelves. I bought a grow light at lowes today and a under the cabinet light, I mounted them with zip ties. The purple grow light is odd looking to me but maybe it will help my plants. Anyone use these lights on there vivs? Can you tell they actually work and help?
The under the cabinet light is way to yellow for my taste and for what I had to pay for it, itll be going back cause I was hoping for a white light. I may try some of the LED light strips they have.
For your bulb spectrum you just want to find some 65 to 67K bulbs. They can usually be fairly cheap. They are white, daylight looking so are pleasing to the eye and show off true colors. They grow plants well and they are usually brighter than the same thing in a plant grow bulb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts