Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
54W 6500K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent
54W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent

Would this be a good combination for a 55 gal? Its about ~2 watts per gallon.

I've heard this is a good combination. Just doing a little verification before i acquire said bulbs. If someone else knows a better choice let me know please.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Banned
685 Posts
That is a good combination, however you really don't need the actinic bulb. The 6500 bulb will mimic the color of sunlight, and the plants will be just fine. The lights are more for our viewing and the plants to grow. You could switch out a grow light for the actinic. The light from grow lights hurts my eyes, so I prefer 6500s only

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying drop the actinic bulb and just go with two 6500 bulbs? I just want the plants to be happy. The frogs will be fine no matter what the light so long as i maintain the temperature in the tank.

Wayne

·
Registered
510 Posts
6500k is the optimum for plants, I know some folks use white artinc or a 10,000K in combination with 6500k for better color in their planted aquariums & think it would hold true for terrariums :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the combination i have is good for the viv then? yes?

Thats what im gathering anyway.

Wayne

·
Registered
557 Posts
Actinic bulbs are for saltwater tanks to mimic light after it has been filtered through water. (The reason the ocean appears 'blue" is because red rays are filtered out in water)

In other words...Natural lighting for reef critters in their world has a blue shift to it. 10k+ Kelvin & Actinic light.
It is very UN-Natural for terrestrial animals and plants. :(

Since the T-5 and LED light market have traditionally catered to where the money is, they sell the light units w/ higher rating Kelvin and actinic bulbs in them. Because the bulk of the people are buying them are getting them for reef tanks.

Full spectrum lighting that emulates natural sunlight (ie: as it is on land) is the way to go :D (5.2k - 6.5k)
Not altered sunlight as it is after it has been "filtered" through 20 to 30 feet or so of seawater.

In other words... Don't use actinic bulbs if you want to give your frogs a natural environment. :)

Cheers, Todd

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering why people used the actinics on the dart frog tanks. I had two reef tanks and i know i used them on there, but i couldnt figure out why we would need them on the darts.

So what you're saying is to just get 2 6500's for the tank? Or is there another t5 range that is better?

Wayne

Actinic bulbs are for saltwater tanks to mimic light after it has been filtered through water. (The reason the ocean appears 'blue" is because red rays are filtered out in water)

In other words...Natural lighting for reef critters in their world has a blue shift to it. 10k+ Kelvin & Actinic light.
It is very UN-Natural for terrestrial animals and plants. :(

Since the T-5 and LED light market have traditionally catered to where the money is, they sell the light units w/ higher rating Kelvin and actinic bulbs in them. Because the bulk of the people are buying them are getting them for reef tanks.

Full spectrum lighting that emulates natural sunlight (ie: as it is on land) is the way to go :D (5.2k - 6.5k)
Not altered sunlight as it is after it has been "filtered" through 20 to 30 feet or so of seawater.

In other words... Don't use actinic bulbs if you want to give your frogs a natural environment. :)

Cheers, Todd

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes. I think 2 6.5Ks would be good, or a 5.5K and a 6.5K. (5.5 is a tad "warmer" in color)

Something else to consider is a bulbs "CRI".
Color Rendering Index.
That is how well a bulbs light visually compares to Natural Sunlight in rendering colors / visual spectrum.
Real sunlight is rated at "100".
The closer a bulbs CRI number comes to 100, the better it is of giving off light and showing true colors the way they would look in outdoor natural sunlight.
Anything that has a number of say 93 or better is pretty good.

This rating is important to photographers, artists etc. etc. to see colors as they appear in Real Natural Sunlight.

And it is important to ME too to see my frogs and plants the way they would look if they were sitting in a ray of sunlight. :D
Plus, I think the frogs (and all herps for that matter) do way better in good full spectrum lighting.

Todd

·
Registered
557 Posts
this set up is lit w/ 3 indoor sunhine ® cfls and a repti sun 5.0 cfl on each tank.

WOW note how close the light is to the afternoon sun comming thru the window!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts