Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All
What would be the best lighting for my bioactive Exo terra 18 x 18 x24 The one Exo terra make or would it be better to go with something like Arcadia Jungle dawn spot light or led bar or something else. I would like the best for my plants and frogs once I get to that stage. I have made my mind up to buy the MistKing as that seems to be the best after reading a lot on here. Thank you again.
Gary

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hello All
What would be the best lighting for my bioactive Exo terra 18 x 18 x24 The one Exo terra make or would it be better to go with something like Arcadia Jungle dawn spot light or led bar or something else. I would like the best for my plants and frogs once I get to that stage. I have made my mind up to buy the MistKing as that seems to be the best after reading a lot on here. Thank you again.
Gary
Hi Gary, welcome to the forum.

There are a ton of lighting options available and it depends what you're looking for.

I use mostly sunblaster lights (T5HO or LED) and quite like the lights quality they produce, though I find them quite bright.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hello All
Gary
Do you already own the exo terra hood? If you do, I would go with led bulbs that fit the hood. If you don't own it and just want a light with no particular features in mind, then there are a variety of good freshwater aquarium lights that will work for you out of the box.

·
Super Moderator
2,626 Posts
I used Jungle Dawn lamps for some time and liked them. I switched all my vivs to Spectral Design panels, for the thin clean design of them, good coverage and dimmability. I don't know that you can get them outside the US, though.

I use Sunblasters, too, though for other applications (UVB lamps, orchid rack), and agree that they work well and are bright -- especially the LED versions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi minorhero

Thank you and the others so far for answering. No I don't have have exo terra hood just would like the best light for the plants and frogs.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi minorhero

Thank you and the others so far for answering. No I don't have have exo terra hood just would like the best light for the plants and frogs.
Best is a strong word when it comes to lighting. What is the best light? Probably something that is fully programable in color and intensity, designed for freshwater aquariums and costing somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 dollars, possibly more. The frogs would be happy with whatever your room is lit with, the plants on the other hand need more. So when looking for a light you are looking for the plants primarily. You want a light that 1) will be strong enough to adequately provide light to plants in the substrate and the back wall without being too strong, 2) will show the best colors for both plants and frogs.

This can be done relatively cheaply with something like this nicrew light. Or more expensively with 2 of these Asta 20 lights. Or even more expensively with a Twinstar light. Or even MORE expensively with an ADA light. There are actually many other options out there, just wanted to highlight a few. To narrow it down a bit we would need to know what features you want in a light. Do you want it to have a wifi app, sunrise/sunset features built in? Do you have a budget in mind? Do you care if its imported from another country? Etc. Also I'm assuming you are in the UK but I don't actually know. Hopefully this is helpful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@minorhero
Thank you so much for your very informative and helpful answer. Yes you are correct I am in the UK. Budget would be between £200 to £300 as I would like the best for my plants and frogs. I don't want to import from another country. Not sure if my budget runs to a Wifi app sunrise/sunset or do you thinks worth it ? If so which one would you recommend. I would like the best of all the equipment I need so I don't have to upgrade later.
Thank you again
Gary

·
Registered
694 Posts
@minorhero
Thank you so much for your very informative and helpful answer. Yes you are correct I am in the UK. Budget would be between £200 to £300 as I would like the best for my plants and frogs. I don't want to import from another country. Not sure if my budget runs to a Wifi app sunrise/sunset or do you thinks worth it ? If so which one would you recommend. I would like the best of all the equipment I need so I don't have to upgrade later.
Thank you again
Gary
I would say to go to aquarium gardens in person to see the light since its a really neat shop (seen tours on youtube) but it looks like you guys are locked down right now. You could go with Kessil 160 Tuna Sun. Twinstar or ADA. All are good options though some may be out of stock. Which is best??? Ehh its really a matter of personal opinion. You don't need app control or sunrise/sunset effects. It doesn't help your plants etc its just for your aesthetics. A timer (or smart plug) will work fine as well. I'd look at review videos for all 3 lighting options and see what you like. All of them are good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks again minorhero you really have been a great help. The Twinstar with the led controller/dimmer for Twinstar lights looks like it could be the one.
Thanks again
Gary

·
Registered
Ranitomeya
13 Posts
Hello I am not a lighting expert, but after some research I just put this on my new 18x18x24 vivarium and absolutely love it, as do the plants. I like the lumen and color more then another terrarium with an exo terra hood and Josh bulbs, and the bromeliads started rooting within weeks, a few jewel orchids doing good, all the mosses are good. Have only lost a rabbit foot fern in the new build, and it was due to placement not this light. And it is under $30.

NICREW ClassicLED Plus Planted Aquarium Light, Full Spectrum LED Fish Tank Light for Freshwater Plants

1 - 10 of 10 Posts