Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Do you think 3 tubes of T5 21W pumping out roughly 1000 lumens each would be enough to light a 36Lx18Wx30H tank? I really like to try the T5s bec they don't produce heat but I'm not sure if it would be enough. I can't get my hands on the High Output models...only Effecient models.

thanks

Bluetip

·
Registered
986 Posts
That's really not much light; probably not much better than a typical fluorescent fixture. I have three 40 watt compact fluorescents (3000 lumens each) over a 24" x 24" x 24" enclosure. I would consider that a little overkill for most, but high light plants do very well in the setup.

If you are just looking to grow lower light plants like Selaginella, Fittonia, and probably some broms, it might work. However, I would say a total lumen output of 3000 over a tank that size is a bit anemic.

Sorry, man. I'd say go with a 96 watt CF or a 2 x 55 watt CF over a setup that size. Maybe others have different experiences with this.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was very helpful. I will keep that in mind as I am only now building my tank. I'd really like to find out as much info as i can get on lighting. Currently, I have about 24W on a 35gallon and I felt that the lighting still wasn't enough especially for the broms. I would really like to find out how much lighting I may need for the setup.

hope the others can share more!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts