Dendroboard banner

Lighting suggestions

2K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  TimsViv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am setting up a rain forest vivarium for some dart frogs (Dendrobates Auratus) in Exo Terra's Large Extra Tall (36 x 18 x 36) terrarium. I need some lighting suggestions for the health of both the frogs and the plants.

edit: currently looking between ExoTerras UVB linear bulbs and the Nicrew RGB plus

#8 ·
I'd be careful with UVB for darts. Keepers have had negative responses from frogs (feeding/hiding problems aren't uncommon), and failure to meter the amount of UVB provided will increase the risk of both negative effects and failure to have the intended effect (if the UVB is too weak, the frogs won't get any benefit from it). I'd also advise that any UVB lamps be higher quality than ExoTerras -- ZooMed and Arcadia are better lamps, at least in terms or anecdotal reports and my own experiences. UVB isn't necessary to keep most dart species.

#14 ·
One of the important features is the ability to dim the lights - many frog keepers have found that their frogs' behavior changes and they become more adventurous with lower light, so being able to adjust light level until you find the perfect balance for frogs (and slowly turn up light level as plants grow in and provide more cover/block more light) is essential.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.