Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am setting up a rain forest vivarium for some dart frogs (Dendrobates Auratus) in Exo Terra's Large Extra Tall (36 x 18 x 36) terrarium. I need some lighting suggestions for the health of both the frogs and the plants.

edit: currently looking between ExoTerras UVB linear bulbs and the Nicrew RGB plus

Registered
How much money do you want to spend? 馃榿

I know that was a rather unhelpful answer, but it鈥檒l help others help you with suggestions. We have some members that are super duper knowledgeable when it comes to lighting.

Administrator
I see thanks, Im not quite sure about the prices in the hobby, but id say around maybe 400
I can light up about 5 tanks for that cost :) , but I'm very cheap.

Nicrew aquarium lights (RGB plus or SkyLED plus) work nicely, can be dimmed (have to purchase the dimmer separately), and have nice light qualify in my eyes.

I use an 30-36" Nicrew RGB plus on my 36x18x36" tank and an happy with the plant growth. I don't worry too much about plants though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can light up about 5 tanks for that cost :) , but I'm very cheap.

Nicrew aquarium lights (RGB plus or SkyLED plus) work nicely, can be dimmed (have to purchase the dimmer separately), and have nice light qualify in my eyes.

I use an 30-36" Nicrew RGB plus on my 36x18x36" tank and an happy with the plant growth. I don't worry too much about plants though.
thanks for the tip. Coming from saltwater where each part is somehow more expensive than the last lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NiCrew are the best. I think I spent $50 for the light the size you need. The dimmer/sunrise-sunset controller was like $15. I'm sure those prices have gone up a little but it'll definitely be less than $100.

Edit:
The 36" SkyLED is $55 currently.
https://a.co/d/cLnK759
Just a single light right? and should I get a reflector?

Here to help
I'd be careful with UVB for darts. Keepers have had negative responses from frogs (feeding/hiding problems aren't uncommon), and failure to meter the amount of UVB provided will increase the risk of both negative effects and failure to have the intended effect (if the UVB is too weak, the frogs won't get any benefit from it). I'd also advise that any UVB lamps be higher quality than ExoTerras -- ZooMed and Arcadia are better lamps, at least in terms or anecdotal reports and my own experiences. UVB isn't necessary to keep most dart species.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No the light alone is more than enough for a vivarium. I use this on a 36x36" so it'll be more than enough for an 18" high tank. (BTW, exo鈥恡erra only makes 18", 24", and 36" heights. So the one you're looking at isn't 16".)
whoops, looks like I had a typo, I meant 36 x 18 x 36. Thanks for the light advice!

Registered
I like vivagrow 24/7 on the cheap side, but I'm going to throw some spectral designs on a new one I'm doing. Vivagrow 24/7 is $55 for a 36" while the SD is $200. On a 36" tall tank I'd go SD personally

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like vivagrow 24/7 on the cheap side, but I'm going to throw some spectral designs on a new one I'm doing. Vivagrow 24/7 is $55 for a 36" while the SD is $200. On a 36" tall tank I'd go SD personally
Going to second on spectral designs, I just ordered one for a small terrarium I鈥檓 building.
thanks!

Super Moderator
One of the important features is the ability to dim the lights - many frog keepers have found that their frogs' behavior changes and they become more adventurous with lower light, so being able to adjust light level until you find the perfect balance for frogs (and slowly turn up light level as plants grow in and provide more cover/block more light) is essential.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of the important features is the ability to dim the lights - many frog keepers have found that their frogs' behavior changes and they become more adventurous with lower light, so being able to adjust light level until you find the perfect balance for frogs (and slowly turn up light level as plants grow in and provide more cover/block more light) is essential.
great to know! thank you!

Here to help
metering it to make sure you aren't overdoing the UVB.
Or underdoing it, and risking calcium deficiency. And not having any data on whether the UVB is actually beneficial or harmful in your situation, or whether your frogs are avoiding it or exploiting it.

UVB is sometimes appropriately used in breeding challenging dart species (though experienced keepers have success with these species without UVB), and rectifying health conditions in others. Some advanced calcium supplementation regimes for certain species involve UVB provision. All of these are 'if you have to ask, this doesn't apply to your situation' sorts of cases -- in others, UVB is a solution in search of a problem. :)

Registered
sorry to ping, but between this and this, what would you say would be more ideal? Is there any point to having the UVB?
The non uvb one. Just grab the led version. You're going to need a controller to ramp it up & dim it. I can't remember what I used & I haven't looked at one yet for my new tank. @hydrophyte I believe has them & may be able to help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts