Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on two 40 verts that will be side by side. I am thinking of a 36 in T5HO unit eigther 2x39 or 4 x 39. Thoughts?

LED would be nice but I have yet to be impressed by the amount of light produced by these units.

Delmarr

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
2 x 39 will be enough to grow most anything. 4 x 39 would be very bright and have better colors on your broms but you would also be fighting more with heat. I run 2 T5's over most of my vivs and am happy with the light. I do use top quality reflectors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. Was hoping 2x39 would do the trick. Used 4 bulb units for my reef tank and thought it might be to much for the vert but was also concerned that the light might not reach the bottom of such a deep tank

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
How tall will they be? My vivs are 2 ft tall but of course the false bottom and substrate take up some of that space.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
these verts are 36in tall
A single 96 watt, 3 foot power compact (compact florescent) might be a better choice. PCs are not as efficient as T5s, but they do penetrate deeper. If they were mine, I would do the 96 watt power compact and put a small fan blowing across the hood to combat the extra heat. Do NOT use Coralife bulbs as they have some of the lowest PAR and Lumen ratings around. Check this one out. 96 Watt Bright Kits They have possibly the best reflector available for power compacts.

·
Registered
396 Posts
'HIGH QUALITY' LED light units have a very good par output.

I run a 2x39w T5HO on a 24" deep viv next to a TMC GroBeam 1000ND (housing 10 CREE XP-E 6500k LEDs) on a 30" deep viv and the latter shows superior growth across the board - all other parameters are roughly the same too.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree with Pumilo. I currently have that setup in my wall of display tanks and I use a Coralife 36' 1x96w fixture and it works phenomenally! Definitely the way to go. I have talked to many, many people who swear by t5ho fixtures and I strongly disagree. Its one thing when your over an open top tank but when it comes to lighting through glass, a pc penetrates 100 times better than a t5ho.

·
Registered
725 Posts
AH supply has great kits. I have a 2 x 36 watt bright kit over my 30 gallon planted aquarium. Good products, good prices, and good customer service. They do get a bit hot so i would install a cooling fan w/ at least 30 cfm if not more to keep temps down.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For the 40 vert I just finished Im using a double and single exo terra hood setup. Added some reflective tape to the inside for a little extra "reflector" and seems to work great with three of the spiral cfls at 6500K and My tank has good light at the top and bottom. Temps arnt bad either with just a small 60mm fan blowing accross the lights. Top of the tank during day time in miami is around 77-78 avg. and the bottom is roughly 72 usually. Seems to be working as my broms have only been in for a little over a week and they are already shooting roots and are still nice and fired up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
going pc will work. I actually have a 36 inch pc fixture in the basement thats been there for years. Will just need a new bulb. Any recomendations on bulbs? guessing 6700, any brand better then others?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
6700K Anything BUT Coralife. Their bulbs are just rather dim.

·
Registered
725 Posts
hahaha coradeath! doug that still makes me laugh when i think about it. But ya i don't like anything coralife :p Delmarr you can use any bulb in the 5500K-10000K color temperature and be fine. Most like 6500-6700K just cuz it has a nice crisp white color to it. Its really a personal preference. 5500K will bring out reds better, while 10000K will make greens stand out more. I don't know if its really that helpful in this case, but here is my thread on vivarium lighting i made a while back. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/65603-guide-vivarium-lighting.html

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Ryan, Glad someone can appreciate my "Coradeath" thing! I think maybe I've offended a few with it.;) I remember your lighting guide. That's a nice little thread! One other thing with 6700K and 10000K is that generally 6700K will be brighter, with more PAR (photosynthetically active radiation), or usable Lumens, than a comparable 10000K bulb provides. There are still some nice, usable 10K bulbs out there, however. One 10000K bulb that I currently have over some of my vivs is the TRU brand of 10000K power compact bulb. It is available from Hello Lights.
WOW! Look what I just now found on clearance while looking up a link for you!!
36" 1x 96W Parabolic Single Retrofit Kit -Square Pin
A 96 watt retrofit kit for $20!!
OK, here is the 10K TRU link. 96W PC / CF 10,000K, 34" -Square Pin Base
Now I see that they finally have the TRU brand in 6700K! I was very impressed with their 10K and I think this would be an excellent bulb to try. 96W PC / CF 6,700K, 34" -Square Pin Base

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the links, Ive ordered the retrokit and bulb from hellolights.

Already had a fixture but the retro will allow me to construct a nice hood for the tanks.

Thanks again

Delmarr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts