Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nothing (well, I have fish, but I don't think that's what this is asking)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I was wondering, do terribilis need any sort of additional lighting? I will be keeping a bioactive enclosure so I will get a light that is pretty strong to grow the plants. Do you guys have any suggestions for lighting? I think I am going to get the 36 x 18 x 12 Exo terra tank. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Hello , dart frogs don't need UVB lighting if that's what you're referring to. Most of use one of the following:
  • Horticultural lighting (T5HO fluorescent or LED)
  • Aquarium lights (t5 or LED)
  • Shop lighting (LED)

I actually have all three types in use in my frog room: sunblaster T5HO and LED lights, nicrew LED lights, and store brand LED shop lights.

As for your terrarium plans: if that tank is only 12" tall then that's not really tall enough for dart frogs. I would go with 18" tall at the bare minimum (all of my tanks except for one are 24" tall and the least tall one is the least easy to work with)

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
As for your terrarium plans: if that tank is only 12" tall then that's not really tall enough for dart frogs.
Can confirm. I use an 18 x 18 x 12 for a leuc growout, and it is marginal for that purpose, and would not work for a larger, more-likely-to-crash-into-the-top frogs like terribs. The drainage layer and substrate is ~5 inches, and then there is not even room for any hardscape, to say nothing of plants.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello , dart frogs don't need UVB lighting if that's what you're referring to. Most of use one of the following:
  • Horticultural lighting (T5HO fluorescent or LED)
  • Aquarium lights (t5 or LED)
  • Shop lighting (LED)

I actually have all three types in use in my frog room: sunblaster T5HO and LED lights, nicrew LED lights, and store brand LED shop lights.

As for your terrarium plans: if that tank is only 12" tall then that's not really tall enough for dart frogs. I would go with 18" tall at the bare minimum (all of my tanks except for one are 24" tall and the least tall one is the least easy to work with)
Ok cool! I think I'll go with aquarium lights since that's what I'm familiar with.
Can confirm. I use an 18 x 18 x 12 for a leuc growout, and it is marginal for that purpose, and would not work for a larger, more-likely-to-crash-into-the-top frogs like terribs. The drainage layer and substrate is ~5 inches, and then there is not even room for any hardscape, to say nothing of plants.
What tank would you recommend for terribilis?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Ok cool! I think I'll go with aquarium lights since that's what I'm familiar with.

What tank would you recommend for terribilis?
Terribs are big frogs and require a little larger footprint than many other frogs. They are primarily terrestrial and appreciate the floorspace. They will climb, but they are not acrobats like many other species. I can corroborate what the people above had said, I wouldn't go less than 18" in height. As for size, the bigger the better. You never mentioned the quantity of frogs you wish. If you keep more than a pair, bigger still is better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terribs are big frogs and require a little larger footprint than many other frogs. They are primarily terrestrial and appreciate the floorspace. They will climb, but they are not acrobats like many other species. I can corroborate what the people above had said, I wouldn't go less than 18" in height. As for size, the bigger the better. You never mentioned the quantity of frogs you wish. If you keep more than a pair, bigger still is better.
I was going to go for a pair. Would an 18x18x24 ExoTerra work well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts