Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 65 gallon frog tank and just purchased the coralife 48in aqualight with 2 65watt compacts 130 watt total. but the front of my tank seems a little dark it's getttting light but not much. i was wondering does it matter if some plants in the front aren't getting full light? i was thinking of maybe getting the 260watt 4 compact lights but didn't know if that might be overkill on a 65 gallon? anybodyknow what would work with this size tank?

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I wouldn't fudge the lighting too much for awhile. Watch the temperature instead. Don't make the same mistake I did by going with 2x 55 watt right off the bat. It IS cheaper just to buy a twin bulb ballast, but you don't have to worry about overdriving them if only one bulb is hooked up.

If you want to increase the light, make sure you use a good fogger / misting system and make sure there is plenty of ventilation too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my temperature was fine with the 130 watt but it didn't light up my tank to good at the front. so i am gonna try the 260watt 4 65watt compacts the unit has 2 fans and with the stands is about 3in from my glass so i hope this will work better if not i give up cause i tried everything from t12 t8 and now power compacts i still notice very little difference in my plants so hopfully this might be enough.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of hood do you have? How well does it reflect the light into the tank? Also how far away from the tank are the lights mounted?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just have the coralife single strip with 2 6700k bulbs it's on legs about 3in from top. temps on the bottom are at 74 with full glass tops i'm gonna try the 260watt 4 6700k double light strip it has 2 fans in it and vents but i think it might get to hot.if so i'll stick with the 2 lights i have but my tank is dark up in the front not much light as the light spectrum is pointed straight down in the back half i just wanted to know if 260watt is to much for a 65 gallon tank would it get to hot. guess i'll find out friday, theres no frogs in there yet just plants.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you thought of tilting the hood alittle so that it aims the light forward some? Might save you some money. As long as you watch your temps I can't think of why you couldn't use the 260 watt but it will probably be alittle over kill.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have that 65 g frog tank from glasscages.com if you look at it has just flat glass tops with the doors on the front so you put your lights on the back so you can open the doors so you can't tilt it the light is just a strip light with legs for fish tanks. and yeah i think 260 might be too much too

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get some decent reflectors and shoot it where you want it, no additional heat, and youll increase your lighting by 50%, old reefers trick. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts