Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using two CF 55 watt tubes from AH supply, I have room in the hood for a third. The broms toward the top are doing well, everything else seems to be growing kind of slow, I guess, as this is my first vivarium. And the moss is starting to get brown, even the java moss isn't spreading like I see everyone else talk about. The dimensions are 36t,24w and 20d. Been set up since Sep. and currently have two Colbolt Tincs. Should I invest in another CF tube?
Sorry for the poor quality pictures, had to borrow a digital camera.

Jim.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That is a deep tank, and it is hard to have good light intensity toward the bottom, without burning the plants at the top of the tank. I would just use plants that don't need strong light intensity for the bottom. Many of us dont have good luck with pillow moss, as it needs bright light to thrive along with good drainage. I have switched to leaf litter, and I will use some java moss in strategic places.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think Geckguy hit the nail on the head--you don't have enough light to penetrate that deep into the tank. Light intensity is reduced by the square of the distance from the origin, so it tapers off rapidly towards the bottom of the tank.

To get enough light intensity to the bottom to get fantastic growth from java or pillow moss, you would probably have to double your light output. Adding another 55 watter, though, would probably help out a lot, but be careful of the increased heat. Otherwise, you could consider using Selaginellas as a groundcover, or the leaf litter like Geckguy recommended.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Like Homer said you can add another 55 watter, but I dont think it will be money well spent, as it will add more heat to a tank, and when summer time comes it will be difficult to control the heat. If you like the idea of having broms on the bottom e-mail tropiflora about bromeliads that dont need bright light, they have tons of broms you have never even heard of so they can probally help you out, if you get a chance you may want to visit tropiflora (they are in sarasota) it is a really nice trip if you like tropical plants. I also can't tell if you have lots of standing water in the bottom or not, but when bromeliads have their roots constantly soaked they often die.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I really like the dimensions of you're tank, but 36"tall is pushing it for PC's. Maybee a 100-150 watt halide would penetrate better, but again caution on the heat.
Actually, depending on who you talk to, compacts might put out more lumens per watt than halide's, but most of the people into hydroponics and reef tanks say MH's light has more Photo-synthetic Active Radiation than the PC's, and "punches" through better, making them better for lighting tall plants, tall tanks, and things underwater.

How long has you're tank been set up? Actually, if the plants don't grow real well on the bottom of the tank, some of the frogs might like that more. I've never been to a rainforest...but all the pictures (not enough!) I've seen of PDF habitat seem to have very little low growing vegetation, and as much as I hate to say it, very little moss!

Just my $0.02!

Again, great tank!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Dancing frogs
So far, heat really hasn't been an issue. the top 1/3 of the tank is screened with a small fan blowing accross and I have vents across the bottom in front of the doors. Humidity has been 78%-100% and temps 74-78 degrees. Been up for about 2 1/2 months now.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a 48" tall (40L turned vert/side opening) and I have 3 30 Watt CF's over it. I love that the upper half of the tank is bright while the bottom is dim. It seems much more realistic. I have a leaf litter bottom though, and I doubt moss would do good in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts