Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people recommending for lighting for this size viv ? I am thinking of using PC lights so I need to know wattage and spectrum of the bulbs people use. I am well versed on lighting for reef aquaria but I would imagine the spectral needs of terrestrial plants would be different.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm using a 12" Satellite 1x18W SunPaq w/Lunar Light: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW ... mdy00.aspx
and a Dome Light with a 23 watt (equal to 100 watt) spiral type screw-in fluorescent bulb on my sons's 18"x18"x24" Exo Terra tree frog viv.

Plants seem to be doing well. We trim about every 2-3 weeks. I do NOT have any Broms in this viv, so I'm not sure if they would do well or not.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Ha, I just had this question a few weeks ago. I went with a single Lights of America 85w fixture for each exo terra. They cost $50 at Home Depot, and come with 6500K bulbs. I just made a canopy out of wood and ran the bolts through the top of it. Broms are coloring up, a Neo. zonata that was living on my porch (recieving full sun 6-8 hours a day) is actually developing red bands now that its in the viv. All the other plants seem to be thriving, and the light color is great for viewing. I left the back of the canopy open to prevent overheating. Viv stays 82-84 at the top and 76-78 at the bottom with a room temp of 74F. The bastis love it.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Thanks for the compliment - I just can't wait until the creeping fig grows inbetween the broms and provides some REAL hiding places. If you have any questions on how I did anything, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
88 Posts
zbrinks those are SWEET setups!! are those 18"18"24" exo's that it pretty much how I want to set my tank up I love the moss and the oak bark it looks great

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
If you want to know who I got the plants from, pm me. Ive added a couple of orchids in there since the last pics, and everything is growing in very well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts