Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for asking this redundant question, i just couldnt find anything that clearly answered my question. So im super new and im planning out a vivarium either a 29 or a 20 high tank. my question is what lighting set up to use?.....im liking CFLs (6500K) bc of the cost . So lets say i used them in a compact hood and set them on top of the tank. Would this be too hot for the plants? (i plan on using maybe 3 small growing bromiliads a few low growing plants and maybe moss)

thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome: I have cfl's on top of my tanks, and it may warm them up just a bit but nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think that would be fine. I have VHO lighting that is a lot hotter than CFLs and my tank does not get too hot. Good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks yall and if i was to use the cfls would dual cfls in a hood setup be enough? how about the wattage would that matter any too lets say something like 13watts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks mordoria. I figure 3 13w cfls in a 20h tank or maybe 2 24w cfls in a 29 would work then. and im looking into those t5 lights on ebay, you said they work good for you?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just recently added some CFLs to the top of my 29 gallon vert and I like that it warms the tank up a little during the day, just a few degrees, because my room is a bit cooler during the winter.

Always take frequent temps no matter the lighting you use however... better to find a problem yourself before waiting for your frogs to tell you about it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. looks like im probably going with cfls. so basically i just have to monitor the heat in the tank and like someone mentioned just raise up the lights off the glass some. im mainly concern with my future plants i dont want to burn them. Lol im nowhere near ready for any type of dart frogs yets

·
Registered
167 Posts
No doubt that CFL’s do the job and are a cheaper alternative. If you don’t want to have to worry about heat I’d suggest you take a good look at the new LED lights. They’ve come a long way over the past year and a half, or so, and if you’re willing to spend a tad more for arguably a longer life and no heat it’s an option that shouldn’t be dismissed.

You can find these gems at Light Your Reptiles.
Upgraded 9 Watt Day White LED Unit *Powerful*
11 Watt Day White LED Unit
13 Watt Bright White LED Unit ** 60 Diodes ** Brightest **

Whatever you decide best of luck to you! :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If you dont have frogs, then heats not such an issue. I have an empty viv thats for plants, it loved having 2x23w cfls. I raised it up off the tank for some air flow and to help spread the light.

As for the 24", I like it on my 20H. I love a lush tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts