Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, in a planted frog terrarium which is better for plants. Closer to 5500K or closer to 10,000K? I've been told both are ok, but I'm trying to find out which is needed for growth of plants and good color rendering.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Either is fine, though the 5500 may look more natural. Color rendering is deffined by a seperate index from color tempreture. I belive the higher the CRI the better (someone correct me if I am wrong). However, all the indexs that you see commonly listed on a bulb (output in Lumens, CRI, color temp.) are pretty much aesthetic issues of how the bulb makes things look and are not very good guides as to what is optimal for plant growth.

What you want idealy is a bulb which produces the bulk of its light at around 400 nm and 680nm wavelength. Or something a little less then 2000 PPFD. But good luck finding a bulb that has either of those listed in its specs.

Your best option is just to play around untill you find something that looks good to you and figure at least 2 watts per gallon (that however is only a crude guide).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I want power compacts. I have a dual light fixture for 2 65W PC bulbs, just trying now to find somewhere to buy 5500K PC bulbs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Try aquarium supply liquidators. I have ordered from them in the past and was quite pleased with the price and the service.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks. Looks like I might have to just get a new ballast and bulbs, possibly 2 55W instead of my 65W. The only 65W bulbs they have are 10,000K, 50/50, and actinic. What's the Kelvin rating of 50/50 bulbs, anyone know?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have bought lights from AH Suppy in the past. Great prices and service. The webite link is Ah Supply.

For my tanks I try to stay around 5000K- to 6500K.
Much below 5000K the light is yellow, and much above 6500K the light gets a little to blue for me.

Here is the info from Pet Supply om their 50/50 bulbs:
50/50 Actinic 10000k
50/50 combination of 10,000k trichromatic daylight phosphor and actinic 420 phosphor in the same lamp.

Ideal of all marine aquariums and reef aquariums, African chichlids and discus fish.

Provides high intensity full spectrum illuminations for a living reef, strong in the short wavelength blue region essential for photosynthetic coral and invertebrates, balanced with 10000k sunlight for natural color enhancement and viewing pleasure.

I did find some 65watt 7100K bulbs at HelloLights
They may be a little blue, but I have never seen the light they give off in person.
Here is one for a striaght pin socket http://www.hellolights.com/55watblu7121.html
Here is the square pin socket http://www.hellolights.com/55watblu22ja.html

Good luck in your search,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I'm stupid. The ballasts are for 55W bulbs, not 65W...duh! So do I want the 6500K bulbs or the plant growth bulbs? This is what it says about the plant bulbs

Freshwater aquatic plants greatly improve the appearance and health of an aquarium. The key to success with plants is providing the appropriate light for photosynthetic reactions to occur. The Ca Tropical sun plant lamp uses 6500k triphosphor to generate a full-spectrum, high-intensity output, high in photosynthetically active radiation (PAR). The resultant vibrant plant growth creates a lush, aquatic jungle in the aquarium

1 - 9 of 9 Posts