Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the forums about best lighting. I am just about to set up a new 90 x 45 x 90 terrarium for darts.
I have two canopies, one with two florescent strips with two Halogen spots. Other canopy is the compact top which houses 4 x Exo terra sun glows/ repti glows.
My question is what best lighting to use i.e LED (my preference) or stick with the Exo tubes and bulbs?
Also UVA & UVB needs for frogs?

Would be very grateful for any advice

Steve

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wouldn't worry about UVA/B right now. That's a somewhat complicated endeavor with PDF's and isn't a must with good supplementation.

I am extremely happy with the LED I purchased from one of the site vendors. PM if you would like more info on these. CFL's and flourescents can work well too.

Main thing is to be in the 6500K color temp range (for plant growth) and to maintain desired temps in the viv.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info ckays. I just thought that UVA was a consideration in preventing SLS,,, well I read it somewhere.
I want to try and make everything as natural as possible for frogs, plants and to look the best i.e show colours etc for me.
Also keeping cost down on electricity by using LED is a good reason too :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's true that UVA/B can be beneficial, but it needs to be done correctly. The supplements most use provide the needed vitamins for the frogs albeit not completely "natural."

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/science-conservation/73268-uvb-exposure-dendrobates.html

This should give plenty of insight into UVA/B and PDFs. I plan to utilize these wavelengths myself at some point, but the technology is not quite there yet and I am waiting for Ed's UVB for dummies handbook that I know he is working on diligently for us. :cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Personally, I would not use any of those bulbs. They deteriorate rather quickly and I don't believe they are in the right K range.

i would use the LEDS i mentioned or purchase 6500K CFL's from your local hardware store. These will fit perfectly in your compact hood, cost less, and provide adequate lighting for your plants and frogs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, the colour temperature isn't critical - it just gives you a favourable CRI. Plants will grow under a wide variety of Kelvin temperatures.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, the colour temperature isn't critical - it just gives you a favourable CRI. Plants will grow under a wide variety of Kelvin temperatures.
Not to hijack the thread too much, but I believe CRI and Color Temperatures are independent of each other. You can have a 2700K bulb with a 90 CRI. You can also have a 6500K bulb with a poorer CRI.

I am fairly certain that most CFL and incandescent bulbs have fairly high CRI's unless they are Neodymium coated.

Higher color temperatures simulate sunlight and help to facilitate photosynthesis. Higher CRI's just indicate that the bulb is effective at rendering colors.

My personal experience: Had a crappy LED light that probably had a good CRI, but was did have a high enough K range. Plants suffered. Switched to 26 watt CFL's 6500K, plants bounced right back. I assume these bulbs had a good CRI as well...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have ordered my lights as suggested by you. All I need now is the two flourescent strips for the 2nd Canopy. I may have gone overboard with my lighting but really want the plants to grow well and it is a 3ft deep viv so want light to get to the bottom through other plants.
Maybe I will see how it looks before I add them. If I do I don't think it would harm if I added one Exo terra tube to give a bit of UVA That may be ok? What do you think?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about UVA transmission but UVB is blocked by most tank coverings unless you purchase special materials. I'd say that unless you get some solacryl or low iron glass, any UV source will be wasted.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I looked at the item you linked....

those bulbs are designed for 220V and will NOT work in the USA! EDIT: Just like most screw-in "LED" bulbs...it doesn't actually give you any tech specs on the bulbs output :\

Light Your Reptiles has similar LED-screwin type bulbs that work great.

If you are interested in "actual" LED units, PM me for details :)

As for the comment regarding plants growing in "all" types of light....this is quite misleading. Plants *CAN* grow in many conditions, but a full-spectrum daylight bulb will typically give you the best growth/coloration

·
Registered
564 Posts
After adding my lighting to my biggest new viv with the lighting I was recomended, I am finding my temps going too high.
I don't know if you mentioned it earlier, but are your lights sitting directly on top of the tank? Elevating them a few inches above can help reduce tems a bit. Worth a shot if you haven't already tried that route.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't see why they wouldn't work...you'll just want to figure out how many lumens they are.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks Evil Lost. I am in the UK
I did look at Light your Reptiles and couldn't find their shipping costs.
The 2nd link is 6000 - 6500k
I'm from the UK too. I'm soon going to be doing a DIY LED canopy build with CREEs new XM-L LEDs (even more output than XP-Gs!).

Try searching on Dendroworld for a DIY topic, or search plantedtank / UKAPS for DIY LED builds.

A site called led-tech.de sell all the hardware you need, and deliver to the UK.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts