Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I currently have a 5000k light and plan on getting bromeliads. I want a good light to get nice colors, so I planned on upgrading to a 6500k LED bulb. As of right now the 5000k looks a good white color, so Im wondering if 6500k would look too blue. everyone says that neorgelias need 6500k to get good colors. There are also people who say that 6500k is too unnatural looking. Is 6500k too blue? I want the tank to look nice to the eye. I don’t think that my 5000k LED is enough to color the neorgelias, so I think I have to upgrade either way. Any information? Here is a picture of the current 5000k 650 lumen LED in my tank THIS TANK HAS NO DART FROGS ONLY A FIRE BELLY TOAD
EDE53554-20CE-458C-B8CC-4F5DBE279614.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,066 Posts
I think the difference between 5000k and 6500k is primarily aesthetic. What do you like? In terms of broms coloring up, I am pretty sure that this is more dependent on the intensity and I am betting you could get broms to color up with 5000k or 6500k lights if they are bright enough. What I am certain of is that there are people on this board that know a lot more about this than I do and I bet they will chime in, too :)

Mark

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think the kelvin rating on the bulb is less indicative of it's usefulness in growing plants than the lumens. As @Encyclia said, the Kelvin is more how you perceive it (temperature). The lower the rating the more "yellow" it typically looks. 5000-6000K are pretty similar, on the sort of "neutral" part of the scale.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Kelvin does matter for plant growth, here's a good explanation. Lumens measure intensity of light that humans can see, so kelvin + lumens will give you an idea of how good a light is as a grow light, but a better measure that covers both is PAR.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses! that website that you mentioned says 5000-7000k is good for plants, so I searched up a 6000k light on Amazon. I think that 6000k looks nice and natural, so here is a light I found, I only plan on using 1 light fo the tank. The main goal of this light is to get neorgelias to color up a little bit. Would this product be able to do a good job? Also the neorgelias would be at the top of the tank (picture is in first post) and the current light is 650 lumens, so hopefully this light (800 lumens) will be brighter and better. Please give feedback, thanks!
LINK

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks for all the responses! that website that you mentioned says 5000-7000k is good for plants, so I searched up a 6000k light on Amazon. I think that 6000k looks nice and natural, so here is a light I found, I only plan on using 1 light fo the tank. The main goal of this light is to get neorgelias to color up a little bit. Would this product be able to do a good job? Also the neorgelias would be at the top of the tank (picture is in first post) and the current light is 650 lumens, so hopefully this light (800 lumens) will be brighter and better. Please give feedback, thanks!
LINK
The difference between 650 and 800 lumens will be negligible. I believe Neos would want something like 2500+ lumens, so 3 of those lights across the top of the tank would do the trick. The measurements get complicated because when you're talking about how much light is hitting a specific spot in a tank the measurement converts to lux which has very different values than just lumens emitted...however, I am pretty confident that 800 lumens will not color up your broms.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only have room for 1 light to be screwed in, so IDK how I am going to fit more. Would this light be any better?
LINK 2

·
Registered
474 Posts
I only have room for 1 light to be screwed in, so IDK how I am going to fit more. Would this light be any better?
LINK 2
You could try it, I don't think it will color up your broms. You might have better luck finding an actual grow light that has a measurement in PAR.

It's also possible that in a low tank like that, the amount of light you would need to get color in your broms would stress out your toad. I don't know much about herp keeping so someone else might be able to comment on that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I might have found a solution. If I used one of these, and put 4 lights each at about 600 lumens, would this work?My idea

·
Registered
474 Posts
Would that fixture be safe to have inside the tank? Is there an automated misting system? Does the toad climb?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ok so I don't have any critters in this tank besides isopods. My lights are 3000k-5000k and I get beautiful colors and crazy stupid growth. I was a bit hesitant at first to go with lights that were so warm because I thought they'd look like this, all orange and crazy looking.

However after I got them the warmer temps weren't as "warm" as I imagined and looked really pleasing to my eyes.

All in all I'd get what looks best to you. I remember reading on here it's not the quality of light that matters but the quantity. On my old 40gallon breeder tank I had a single beamswork 6500K fixture and my broms, albiet slowly, turned red. Under these warmer lights it only took a few weeks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow those look really nice! I guess 5000k lights will be fine for me. Also the light source would be outside of the tank, I will send a picture to describe what I mean

·
Registered
743 Posts
The 6500k will be slightly more “blue” though your eye may perceive it as white at that K. 5000k is great any lower and you’ll start to look slightly yellow or very yellow depending on how low you go. Both are good choices and unless you are buying very high quality diodes won’t make a big difference on color perception. Either will grow plants just as well as the other at an equivalent brightness.

·
Registered
743 Posts
That looks like it’s probably about 4000k based off the spectrum, if it’s accurate. It will be a little yellow, but not terrible. It should have good color rendering for its Kelvin rating if the spectral output presented is accurate.

You might be happier with something 5000-6500k.

·
Super Moderator
3,987 Posts
In the product Q&A on Amazon:

"Q: What is the color temperature of this bulb? I'm looking for something between 5000-6500.
A: Dear customer,
Thank you for your question. The color temperature of the 30W led grow light bulb is very close to 5000K, as well as our 40W led grow light."

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have actually found a better light, it has a good PAR level of 95 from 12” which is not a ton but it is all I need. There is also a picture of it used for growing neorgelias, and the colors look pretty good. The light is the NICREW SkyLED PLUS on Amazon, and it has 6500k color temp, pretty decent reviews. So I think that is the light I will be going for (Unless there are any other suggestions)

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
I have actually found a better light, it has a good PAR level of 95 from 12” which is not a ton but it is all I need. There is also a picture of it used for growing neorgelias, and the colors look pretty good. The light is the NICREW SkyLED PLUS on Amazon, and it has 6500k color temp, pretty decent reviews. So I think that is the light I will be going for (Unless there are any other suggestions)
I love these lights. I use them on my tanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
A PAR of 95 from 12” sounds great. If your light is 6” above the lid, so maybe 8-9” above the tops of the broms, that will be brighter than 95, but as long as your toad is ok with it that should be great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts