Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if i should keep the lights on my new viv on 24hrs a day to help everything grow out faster. There are no animals in there yet, but ill have to move it away from my other viv so the light will bother my green tree frog. The only concern i have is of the temp going up to high and frying my plants. Also, what is a good time schedule for the light once i do get the frogs? on at 6am off at 7pm?

·
Registered
70 Posts
yea for proper photosynthesis and respiration, 24 hrs of light would not be good for any plants that I can think of... 12 on 12 off is a good suggestion

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
What others have said, definitely do a 12 hour on, 12 hour off cycle. The plants need a proper photoperiod in order for photosynthesis to work correctly. It is pretty complicated, I took an entire semester of biochemistry and still don't completely understand(maybe I just dont remember). If you want to wiki photosynthesis and do some digging though you can get the gyst of it.

Of intrest though, there have been experiments done with accelerated photoperiods, 6 hrs on, 6 hrs off. If I remember correctly in most cases tho, there was no statistical difference in plant growth rates. They also did reasearch with longer photoperiods, 24 hrs on, 24 hours off. Again, not much change in plant growth. It seems plants and the associated biological processes are pretty well adapted to our planets day night cycles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While our frogs come from a tropical zone where day length only varies from 12 hours by a few minutes, a 12 hour period of artificial lighting may not meet our plant's needs.

Light cycles can vary by plant and based on type of lighting. Indoor gardeners will run up to an 18/6 light cycle for bromeliads(may be to much for a viv).

Here's an article about setting up a light schedule (Link).

All this said I run 12/12 winter and 14/10 in the summer.

·
Registered
454 Posts
yea for proper photosynthesis and respiration, 24 hrs of light would not be good for any plants that I can think of... 12 on 12 off is a good suggestion
I'm still learning the exact science here but I've heard....

pot plants are grown 24hrs light during vegging cycle and switched to a 12-12 cycle for flowering (from what I have heard, this change from 24 to 12-12 is what "tells" the plants to flower)

The difference in our case being that we have a closed-air system more or less as opposed to indoor gardening setups

I personally grow many of my plants under 24 hour cycles including my clones with great success (OPEN AIR)....I have not heard of the 24 to 12-12 thing with plants other than pot nor have I actually tried it though, maybe others can comment/confirm/deny?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Some plants need a phototropin gradient throughout the year to induce blooming- these are called DETERMINATE BLOOMERS, and must experience a gradient throughout the year. If you want to see more success with stubborn plants, do a 16 hour day in summer, and decrease it to 12 in the winter, and cut back misting as you cut back light.

24 hours of light is not good for plants

1 - 8 of 8 Posts