Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, need a little advice here. I am in the stage of tank building where i am putting together the light source in a custome build wood hood. the tank will be a 20-30 ish moderately planted with 3-4 frogs. Previouly i have use just full spectrum flourescents in shop light fixtures for my plants, but here i find myself wondering if there isn't a way to get more light under that wooden hood. I normally just hang the lights above my tanks, but this is to be more of a piece of furniture. So i was looking at power compact lights and wondering how difficult it would be to do some manual electrical work inside the hood to get them in there. Does anyone have a good site that details how to do the installation and wiring of these lights? Keep in mind that the most i have ever done with electricity is replace a (standard) light bulb.

Another option i was thinking of was using the "screw in" compact flourescent lights. These would be easy, cause i can get pre wired fixtures that just plug into the wall. But can i get enough light (and enough spectrum) with those? if you think so, i will go with this option if someone can give me a specific bulb that has full spectrum. Thanks in advance for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! thats a great kit!

Along the same lines, is there such a thing as too much light for frogs? You think 96W in a 20H gallon would be too much?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To much light, No, To much heat becomes the problem. Also, if my girlfiend came into our place and it looked like close encounters she woudl declare it to much.

I have 2 13 watts and a 36 watt over a 20 High. I am going to switch the 13 watts to one blue atinic / 1 6700k bulbs and try to do a day to night light cycle with some dimmers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check!

One last Q

I heard someone say a while back that if you use a 10,000K color light with frogs they will get stressed out. True or False?

I think i am going to order the 55w and just add that to a dual 18w full spec shop light fixture that is set aside for this tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you familiar with reef tanks? They use those 10k lights to penetrate the water.

I have not heard about stress to the frogs, but the color put out by those lights is not very pleasing to the eye IMHO. I think it looks way to blue. If you are wondering i bet your local reef store has both of those color temps over a tank. 6700 is very close to the color of the sun at noon. But as with clothes everyone has thier own preference of color.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ooo! ya that makes sense now. I am in the process of starting a reef tank at the same time. (it's amazing how many projects you want to start when you finally move into an actual house rather than bouncing around apartments) Good info to know for the reef tank. hopefully i will start the reef by chistmas.

But for now, in a 30 gallon going to go with 2x36w at 6700K. Sound about right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 36 over a 30 should work out great. You may want to have a computer fan or 2 in the hood, in case it gets to hot. Youll have to play around with it to get it set in your home environment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heat actually is not going to be a problem, i have a whole HVAC system designed that uses a cool mist humidifier and several fans that will take care of that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heh sounds good post pictures when you are finished. And you must be hard at work today as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
drunknmunky said:
Heat actually is not going to be a problem, i have a whole HVAC system designed that uses a cool mist humidifier and several fans that will take care of that
I would say better safe than sorry here. Honestly, I don't think you will have a problem with 72 watts over a 30. I made a hood once though and put alot of watts in it, and the tank was way too hot. I had to build a higher hood with fans and it was the pits. I would recommend you go ahead and put a fan in there. If you never use it, fine, but if you need it you will have it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
487 Posts
In the hood i posted a while back, i plan on fitting 2x13W Compacts (coil ones) on the sides, and a full spectrum 13W on the bottom middle. And maybe a 36W ontop,

Already the full spectrum, and one 13W'er is installed. I'll post some progress pics soon if interested.

This was a few weeks ago:
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/1522601.jpg
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/15226MVC-023F.JPG

This 'door' idea on the front didnt work out well, so i installed a fan into that hole as well as two other fans inside.

This is also for a 20.
M.N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh, the hood will have fans to cool the lights, no doubt there. I thought you were worried about the tank. Cant wait to build it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts