Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to set up a growout tank in a translucent plastic bin, as that's what I've seen many use. Query - I plan on including plants in the tank, but if a light is placed on top of the translucent lid will the lid prevent the light from sufficiently reaching the plants? Maybe just use pothos, since it's essentially invincible? TIA.

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Depending on the size and ventilation status of the container, I might suggest suspending the light overhead, as opposed to resting on the lid. Most lights will produce some heat, and some produce a LOT, and this can overheat a small QT tub in no time. I would suspect that the translucent lid will allow plenty of illumination to pass through for any hardy plant species.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm getting ready to set up a growout tank in a translucent plastic bin, as that's what I've seen many use. Query - I plan on including plants in the tank, but if a light is placed on top of the translucent lid will the lid prevent the light from sufficiently reaching the plants? Maybe just use pothos, since it's essentially invincible? TIA.
Does growout mean for frogs, or just plants? If it's just plants, I have a number of plants doing really well in only semi-translucent plastic bins with an under-cabinet light suspended over them. Begonia leaf props seem really happy, some Peperomias are good and some are a bit leggy. So I think enough of the right wavelengths of light will get through a translucent lid that you'll be fine.

If it's frogs, I can't comment on what type or intensity of light they need while developing.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
I grow many of my plants in plastic bins with translucent lids, they grow just fine.

If this is for frogs then you should suspend the light to minimize the heat from the lights in the growout bins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts