Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to feed my darts earlier today, and started to smell a wierd smell. After 2 secs of looking around to find the strange stench I found it. It was my light fixture. It was overheating terribly and was starting to burn the plastic casing. I have never seen these sort of lights do that. I was fortunate enough that it occured when I normally go feed, it WOULD have overheated my viv to the point of death for the inhabitants, and potentially even worse, it could have started a fire in my home.

Just wanted to warn others to monitor things closely, and also ask if this has happened to others?

Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a scary thing to see. Glad to hear you caught it in time. What fixture was it?
"All-Glass Aquariums Inc." 20" Flourescent Fixture. Made Dec. 1997.

The age of this fixture was likely the cause. I may post pics of the heat damage.

JBear

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is a prime example why a $10.00 smoke detector placed in the room could save you and your frogs if your there to hear it. Did you have your lights on a proper type breakered electrical strip? All steps that may possibly help. Also the ballasts of Tube type lights get very hot and this heat causes them to break down over the years, no way of knowing when but if the fixture is more than 10 years, well 10-12 hours a day, I think you got your moneys worth from it and it was due to be replaced. I cannot express strongly enough about using smoke detectors people, they will save your hides, I have one in ever room of my house, I know a bit of over kill, but, I have seen some of the strangest fires that started where you would never expect in my 30 years as a firefighter.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a prime example why a $10.00 smoke detector placed in the room could save you and your frogs if your there to hear it. Did you have your lights on a proper type breakered electrical strip? All steps that may possibly help. Also the ballasts of Tube type lights get very hot and this heat causes them to break down over the years, no way of knowing when but if the fixture is more than 10 years, well 10-12 hours a day, I think you got your moneys worth from it and it was due to be replaced. I cannot express strongly enough about using smoke detectors people, they will save your hides, I have one in ever room of my house, I know a bit of over kill, but, I have seen some of the strangest fires that started where you would never expect in my 30 years as a firefighter.
The light was plugged into a power strip. You are right, after all the years I have had it, it was due to fail. I will post pics tonight of the damage done to the fixture. I truly believe it would have started a fire within a short time if it had gone unnoticed. Thank God I am obsessed with my frogs, and check them a lot... ;)

JBear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts