Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

This may well be my first post here, I can't remember if I've used the account yet, long time stalker. I'm starting the planning phase for a viv, which will eventually hold a set of darts (Azureus I expect).

I have an exo-terra viv (one of the bigger ones, I forget the actual size) left over from a horned frog I kept a few years ago, and it makes good sense to use it for the darts too.

The standard light canopy that I have (the official exo-terra one) seems to be fairly limited in the choice of bulbs as it's designed for low-wattage stuff, which makes using heat bulbs a real challenge. I never could really achieve the temps I wanted for the horned frog, luckily he was robust enough to deal with it, however, I fear the darts will not be.

Firstly, are bulb / ceramic heaters my best chance? or are there better ways of maintaining the temps, substrate heaters etc?

What sort of canopy setup would you guys suggest for an exo-terra box? Assuming I want to provide enough heat for the frogs, and enough good quality UV light to keep a full live planted setup.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks all.

Robert

·
Registered
446 Posts
Where do you live? Darts dont need heat...unless your really cold lol. They like the same temps we do. Being a lurker I assume you have already read some of the beginner threads..

In short.. the exo terra hood should be fine with two spiral compacts. I assume thats the one you have. I have these over my two 18x18x24s which sounds like the size tank you have as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@deboardfam hey bud, thanks for the information.

I'm in the UK, so it's not exactly cold, but given the hard winters we've had the past couple of years, temps can get nippy. I thought the darts were from a tropical climate?

I have made an effort to read the starter threads yes, slowly letting it all sink in.

With regards to the canopy, mine is a 3 spiral bulb one, so slightly larger than yours. Glad to know that it should do the job UV wise for the plants though.

Robert

·
Registered
446 Posts
They are tropical so to speak but mid 70s is perfect... so if you keep your house that... or less than that.. with the heat of the lights.. should be good. Just dont want to go above 80ish roughly. The key is at night. Dont want to drop down into the mid 60's. Then you may need some form of heat. As far as whats best i am not sure, I dont need heat here.

Yeah that will be more than enough light for most plants. Just use 6500k bulbs. I buy them from wal mart or lowes.. just regular spiral CF house bulbs 6500k temprature. Its like $6 for 2 bulbs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah, I've got the same Exo-Terra hood over an 18" cube. 2CFLs and my plants are doing just fine. Not the most high-tech set-up, but it works nicely.

Don't sweat the heat unless you are REALLY cold. An average home is just right bordering on too warm.

Your plants don't need UVB (which won't make it through a glass top which you should make to keep humidity up)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts