Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long will a flightless melanogaster culture last? it's kept at around 65 deg and in ambient light on mite paper

·
Registered
238 Posts
it really depends on many variables, such as: what kind of media used, how much media used, how many flies it was started with, excelsior or filters. I start mine with more flies than most probably use, because I like a lot of production, but they don't last as long that way so I also use a bit of media. mine are typically starting to dwindle around a month, when I throw them out. they might go for another week or so, but I usually have too many flies, so I discard the old ones. hope this helps, mike.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
how long will a flightless melanogaster culture last? it's kept at around 65 deg and in ambient light on mite paper
At 65 F, your going to miss out on a lot of productivity in the culture due to the low temperatures. Keep in mind that typically 30 days is recommended since that reduces issues with mites (regardless if it is on paper or not).

Ed

Reactions: B-NICE

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ed,

Is there an optimum temperature for FF propagation? I think I've found a way to propagate FFs, without mites, at a constant 77 to 78 degrees F. If this is a good temperature range, what species of FFs should I be looking to work with?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

At 65 F, your going to miss out on a lot of productivity in the culture due to the low temperatures. Keep in mind that typically 30 days is recommended since that reduces issues with mites (regardless if it is on paper or not).

Ed

·
Registered
70 Posts
i date my cultures when i start them and throw them out after a month ( maybe a few days past a month if they are really producing) but not more than a couple days b/c like mentioned before, the life cycle for mites is around a month, so this helps control them greatly

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Ed,

Is there an optimum temperature for FF propagation? I think I've found a way to propagate FFs, without mites, at a constant 77 to 78 degrees F. If this is a good temperature range, what species of FFs should I be looking to work with?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
A wise frogger once said
If you think you don't have mites then you haven't looked hard enough
;)

In reality anywhere between around between 70- 80 F (or even higher) is going to be fine. I keep my cultures on the top shelf in my frog room since that tends to be somewhere between 75 and 85 F during the day (depending on the season) and if they are producing a little slow, I add a couple more cultures)...

Ed

·
Registered
270 Posts
After 4 weeks I normally placed the cultures in the frog tank for a few days to let the frogs finish off what was left (Just be careful when tossing the container out as the frogs like digging for larvae)
(And yes mites are everywhere, the issue is keeping them at a minimum and production at a maximum, hence the tossing of 4 week old cultures)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts