Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to make a lid for a 10 gallon tank that will contain fruit flies and will allow ventilation? Do the glass aquarium lids from the pet store allow fruit flies to escape? Kinda new and am not enjoying loose fruit flies all around my room......neither is my girlfriend.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Couple ways...

1. go buy sewing palstic that is very very fine, works well, but does not vent well.

2. Use stainless steal mesh that is 60x60 per inch, you can get it here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/ Down site to this is that it is not cheap.

ortega said:
What is the best way to make a lid for a 10 gallon tank that will contain fruit flies and will allow ventilation? Do the glass aquarium lids from the pet store allow fruit flies to escape? Kinda new and am not enjoying loose fruit flies all around my room......neither is my girlfriend.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have used the glass aquarium tops and have had both fruitflies and frogs escape out the back (the crappy inch or so of plastic). I just get glass cut for tops now. I would suggest the meshes mentioned above too. Fruitflies will get through regular screen. Hope this helps

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I solve this by siliconing the back in place... works great.

khoff said:
I have used the glass aquarium tops and have had both fruitflies and frogs escape out the back (the crappy inch or so of plastic). I just get glass cut for tops now. I would suggest the meshes mentioned above too. Fruitflies will get through regular screen. Hope this helps

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about ventilation if I were to use an all glass lid? Mabey I could do part of it with glass and a portion will have some kinda mesh. therfefore, ventilation and fruit fly containing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i used glass lids and cut them to piece inserting a 1.5 inch strip or large piece of mesh for about 80% of the length of the piece of glass, i did this on both pieces of glass to help get the level of condensation on the inside of the fron glass down, one my test tank(a turtle tank with 6 inches of 80 degree water and 80 degree air temps this seems to work fine, without the ventilation it is impossible to see into the tank above the waterline...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey cool, now I have to find an appropriate mesh, any ideas?

·
Registered
313 Posts
i went to a craft store and bought nylon ribbon, it comes in roles about 5 cm wide and 9 meters long, more then you'll ever need but for 4 dollars a good deal, the mesh allows decent air flow, while not allowing anything to escape, i'll have to post a pic of my lid that i completed, its not the prettiest thing, but most people look through the front not the top

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is good hindge to use between two peices of glass. This way I do not have to remove the whole lid every misting and feeding time?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey tkavan01, did you ise the piano hindge from peace of the tropics too?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts