Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of making lids for my deli FF containers by cutting a hole covered with the plastic mesh screen for windows. Will this work? I've bought a few of those pre made filter paper lids but I want to make use of my current lids.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
No window screen won't work, the culture will dry out - even if it didn't the maggots would crawl straight out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris,

Thanks for quick feedback, I thought the maggots would crawl out too. I guess I will have no choice but to buy some more pre made lids.

No window screen won't work, the culture will dry out - even if it didn't the maggots would crawl straight out

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Standard window screen is not a barrier tothe adults of many of the types of melanogaster either into or out of the culture so at best your risking all fliers.

The nice thing about the fabric lids is that they do help optimize conditons inside the cultures and help keep unwanted things out (phorid flies, fungus gnats, wild type fruit flies as some examples) and the things you want in...
You can try and make your own lids but given the cost of a mesh lid, and that they can be reused multiple times when cleaned and disinfected with bleach, it is hard to make a better product much less a more cost effective lid...

Ed

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have cut holes in the lids and used a little bit of silicone around the edge and a thin paper towel cut to size secured to the silicone. works great. but like ED said the lids are super easy and reusable. to each their own.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Don't use mesh, it can let the non-flightless flies breed with your flies and you won't be happy. I use a glue gun and a paper towel to make my own lids. It works lovely.

I'm thinking of making lids for my deli FF containers by cutting a hole covered with the plastic mesh screen for windows. Will this work? I've bought a few of those pre made filter paper lids but I want to make use of my current lids.

Thanks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I was getting Free "dead" containers from Petco. Check Locally to see if your Petco carries them.

Plastic Jar
Plastic Lid..
Stainless Steel Mesh inserts

Very Easy to reuse and Clean

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a little bit of extra "all-purpose garden fabric" which is used for protecting tomatoes in early spring. I put the left-over fabric to use for making my own culture lids. It is a white material that is breathable, but won't let tiny things through. It has worked very well for me.

I use Elmer's regular white glue to attach the fabric. It is non-toxic and holds the fabric to the lid very well. You can smear it onto the lid with your finger and then apply the fabric. Silicone is too toxic, messy, and expensive for something like this.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I use Elmer's regular white glue to attach the fabric. It is non-toxic and holds the fabric to the lid very well. You can smear it onto the lid with your finger and then apply the fabric. Silicone is too toxic, messy, and expensive for something like this.
The silicone isn't toxic at all once it's dried and set. I have a springtail culture that has a micron filter glued in place with silicone which is doing just fine. And springtails are supposed to be much more sensitive to chemicals than FFs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What I do for my ff that is easy, quick, and cheap is I buy the tall deli cups from the grocery store deli (without lids). Then I save yogurt and cottage cheese lids from the large containers and cut a hold in the middle. These are much more durable than deli lids, and can be reused easily. Then I just slap a whole coffee filter over the top, and snap on the yogurt lid. Then just save the lid, but discard the coffee filter. Works great, and no gluing needed!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
For anyone that's interested you can purchase the fabric that the pre-made lids are made of from JoAnn Fabrics. I only know because my mom works there and I have her pick me a few yards occasionally. I believe it's pretty cheap at 99 cents for a square yard. From there it's just a matter of securing it to a mason jar or standard deli cup by whatever means you choose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use soda bottles.

I currently have 3 varieties, Melanogaster (like what comes in the Petco cultures), Jumpers (if someone can help me id these that would be appreciated. They're good size, jump, and fast producers.), and newly acquired Hydei.

Pros:
1. Cheap: you can use non recyclable bottles, and the heavier bottles can be reused.
2. All I use is a rubber band and a napkin for the top. Nothing get's in or out unless i take it off.
3. Ease of feeding: Especially for the jumpers, the small opening allows for less to no escapes.
4. If you keep the lid, disposal is easy, just cap it, and toss it.
5. Little to no smell? Since i started raising frogs I've never had a problem with my FF cultures having an odor. Maybe it's the mix I use.

Cons:
I haven't really found any bad things about using them yet. Maybe if you don't wash and reuse them it's not that green of a way to feed.
If you don't have a steady supply of bottles it might not work for you.

I did have an incident where one of my flightless cultures was contaminated with fliers, so i just capped it.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
For anyone that's interested you can purchase the fabric that the pre-made lids are made of from JoAnn Fabrics. I only know because my mom works there and I have her pick me a few yards occasionally. I believe it's pretty cheap at 99 cents for a square yard. From there it's just a matter of securing it to a mason jar or standard deli cup by whatever means you choose.
Do you have a picture of the fabric you are talking about? Maybe an ID from JoAnn Fabrics or something?

As alternatives, I was thinking thin felt or filter cloth.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts